Measuring cable lengths

Adam P

Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the piece of equipment you use to measure lengths of cable is called? You know, its got a drum in it that the cable turns as you pull it through, and a counter that reads off the length. I use one in the warehouse I work in, but I can't recall offhand what they're called.

Also, if you know, any ideas on how much they cost, and where to buy? Thanks a lot!

Hey, thanks. That second one looks along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'm really hoping I can find an old used one somewhere. I have a feeling that something like that fetches quite a few bucks when its new.

Edit: I just found it...they're called cordage meters. And it looks like they're nearly $200 new.

Cordage meter, yes--I've seen those in home depot. Not for sale, but to measure rope and cable. Great little devices. After another quick google search the cheapest I've seen one new is $185. They are specialized devices.

Haha, no, but I am strongly considering buying a 1000-ft spool or two of cable in the near future, and I thought that something like that would make things quite a bit easier. I don't think it would make them $200 easier though, so I suppose I'll do things the old fashioned way unless I somehow manage to find an used one on eBay or something.

Maybe you should try what I do:

I measured off the lengths of cable that I commonly use, and made marks in pencil on the workbench in my garage for those lengths. So when I'm making cables I just stretch the cable to the pre-measured length and then cut it.

The measurement marks are at 1 foot, 1 1/2 feet, 2 feet, 2 1/2 feet, 3 feet and 3 1/2 feet.

So if I want a six foot cable I just pull the cable off the spool to the 3 foot mark twice and cut it. A ten foot cable would be three 3 foot pulls and a 1 one foot. Measuring goes quickly, easily, and accurately this way.

If you have to make a lot of much longer cables you could mark out a larger measurment unit, fix the end of the cable down, and pull the rest of it out to the measurement mark and cut it.

The key to this is that your measurements are pre-marked, that's what saves the time.

get a reel tape measure (the kind that roll up) and put it on the same roll as your cable next to it. As you pull the cable off the reel, also pull off the tape measure, and you will have a perfect measurement.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, guys. Surprisingly enough, I was able to find a cordage meter to bid on on eBay for the low low starting price of 10 bucks. Now I just have to wait it out for 5 days or so and hope that no one wants one more badly than I do. If that happens, I'll definitely be taking your suggestions into strong consideration.

Just make sure that the cordage meter you are interested in also works with wire. The only cordage meter I saw on eBay after a quick search just now says "not for use with wire or rubber covered wire".

Back