Me thinks me goofed.

Corndog

I got an OLD Mackie CR 1604 with the intent of recording 16 tracks with said mixer. Only 8 direct outs...6 XLR's....and I only have experience with all-in-one DAW's.

Hep!!!!:eek:Hep me pease!!!!!!:D

What's the question? You'll have to mix everything down to your 8 outs. If you wanna multitrack 16 tracks, that'll be impossible without additional hardware. The best you can do is 8 outs. Do you have an interface to get those 8 outs into your PC? Will you be recording on a PC, or some analog tape unit, or a digital hard drive recorder, or ?? What are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for recommendations for other hardware, or a way to make what you have work?

It'd work, but you'll need pre's if you want do 16 xlr's. If you're relying on the mackie, then you'll still only have 8 outs. But things like bass, keyboards, etc could be DI'ed and plugged directly into the hd24, unless youre dead set on mic'ing everything. How much stuff do you have with direct line outs?

I'd maybe think about selling the mixer and getting some pres. If youre going the hd24 route youll be doing all your mixing in that device anyway, using a 1604 for just a few pres is overkill, and the mackie pres arent that great anyway! If you got a fair price, I think you could get 16 (or 24) better pres with the $$.

Last edited:
Back