Md441 placement on guitar amps

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Just purchased one (for an unbelievable 160 euro's... lucky me. hope it works... LOL bought seconb hand)

SO suggestions as to usage/placement on overdriven guitar amps?

Thanks!
G

I've been setting up the mic about a foot away from the grill to let the sound develop a little, starting pointing at the outer edge of the cone (this takes 3 people by the way) While I monitor in a seperate room (preferably with someone else to help me listen for the spot) I have the guitar player playing, and someone else with headphones on slowly move the mic stand across the front of the speaker (I mean slow, like an inch per 10 seconds) for one complete pass, just listening for the spot to come and go and where it gets too grainy. Then I have them move it back to the starting point, and do it again. When we hear the spot, I tell them through the headphones to stop. Then I have the guitar player double track a section of a song, pan them out, and have him come in there and listen. If it sounds good, we keep it. If not, we keep moving it until we get it. I've been building a box around the cabinet with fiberglass panels so that no room gets in the mic. I basically lean one against each side of the cabinet, and lay one across the top.

This is the 441 a foot out, boxed in, on a Peavey head with totally shot tubes, using exactly the technique above. See if you like it. It is a tad grainy, but movement of the mic dictates how much or how little grain you get. www.nowhereradio.com/demoking/singles its the One Fine Line song

Also keep in mind when recording heavy guitars you want to roll the bass out some, turn the gain down a little bit (or a lot) and get some mids back in it. Most guys slam the bass and scoop the mids, gain on 9, treble on 10... back it off and look for the tone 1st. Add some mid. Tame the highs and bass. Roll out a LOT of bass. THEN mic it up.

Peace
Paul

Thanks alot!

I've been through the whole mid scoop bass heavy gain to the max phase about 5 years ago (lukcily... cuz it sounded like shit...;)) so that wont be the problem, i just miss some detail in the sm57. I heard various tracks that i thought sounded amazing using the 57 and 441 at the same time. I wil check out your song, but am at workl right now....

Again; thanks! G

Holy crap Batman. That's a nice guitar sound. I gotta get me one of those 441s. I briefly tried my M201 for a lead the other day and it was pretty smooth. Haven't done any chunky rhythm stuff yet but I think it's going to work well. Got a nice tight bottom and not too much head rippin highs.

Yeah........ nice tone 'Dude.

I am picking my 441 up tomorrow.

It came in early, supposed to be on 30 day hold.

Benn looking for a good used one forever.

I'm sooooooooooo psyched.

-mike

well... i got burned. The bass switch doesn't work and the soldering was so crappy it lasted for about 10 minutes. An dthe adress where it canme from does not appear to exist. ah well... it did work without bass cut for a brief moment... LOL...

Anyway, I LOVE the guitar sound on that track. Exactly what I'm aiming at.To me it sounds transparent and accurate. So i will get this repaired or buy a new one. Thanks alot!

I have an OGG file on my website where you can hear the 441 on a Marshall cab, close to the grill, near the center.

Go to my website demos and click on rock example 2 'Silent Spring' .

The 441 is a great microphone.

Han, I'll definately check your sample out. BTW, the guy called me last night and offered to have it repaired or he woudl send me the money back. SOme honest people around. Great! :)

edit; what's an ogg file?

Ogg is opensource en in tegenstelling tot mp3 hoef je als fabrikant geen geld te betalen als je je speler Ogg files wilt laten afspelen. Verder heeft Ogg een betere compressie, waardoor je bij een drecte vergelijking met mp3 met dezelfde bitrate een betere geluidskwaliteit krijgt.

OGG is a better sounding format, you'll need Winamp 5 or Winamp 2 with a plug to play it, it sounds better than MP3 and it's open source.

Back