MD421 Confusion

gumplunger

Okay I'm running a Senn. MD421 mkII into one of the preamps on my digi002. This behavior absolutely baffles me: I tried it on one of my toms from about an inch away with the gain on the preamp turned up about 35% - Levels are fine. I put it in front of my Marshall Half-Stack, right on the grill (I've tried on and off axis) which is cranked to what should be adequate levels for recording (and at least the volume of the tom I was trying out) and even with the gain on the preamp turned up to 65%, I can't get the level half-way to 0db. I've recorded a guitar amp before with a 57 before, without any problems, but I have no idea what to do here. I've tried both sides of the mic btw, with no avail. Help!

:smacks self in face:

It's always something small like that that gets by me. My bad, probably should have posted in the newbie forum even though I thought I was beyond that stage. I'm almost positive that's what I did wrong, though I can't test it, as my brother is asleep.

Thanks and sorry to take up the extra bandwidth for this thread :D

don't worry about it -- in a coupla years, when you get on the stage during the Emmy Awards (after a multi-platinum album) you'll have a nice story to tell the audience :D

BTW: it just happend to me a few weeks ago that I was recording a tenor sax and I was amazed how silky & smooth the sound was. Absolutly beautiful deep & soothing tenor sound! Spend an entire week trying to reproduce that sound, without luck, until I figured out that I recorded with the back of my Gefell M930! (Gefell mics have the logo on the back side of the mic, unlike all other brands) *LOL

don't worry about it -- in a coupla years, when you get on the stage during the Emmy Awards (after a multi-platinum album) you'll have a nice story to tell the audience :D

BTW: it just happend to me a few weeks ago that I was recording a tenor sax and I was amazed how silky & smooth the sound was. Absolutly beautiful deep & soothing tenor sound! Spend an entire week trying to reproduce that sound, without luck, until I figured out that I recorded with the back of my Gefell M930! (Gefell mics have the logo on the back side of the mic, unlike all other brands) *LOL

BTW: it just happend to me a few weeks ago that I was recording a tenor sax and I was amazed how silky & smooth the sound was. Absolutly beautiful deep & soothing tenor sound! Spend an entire week trying to reproduce that sound, without luck, until I figured out that I recorded the back of my Gefell M930! (Gefel mics have the logo on the back side of the mic, unlike all other brands) *LOL

Actually i did the same thing with my first MD421. It looks like a side address mic doesnt it. Infact i did a couple of sessions with it like that on toms and kick. I could figure out why i had so much cymbal bleed. I didnt figure it out until i was watching some random channel on TV and it showed a radio station using them on voices. It clicked immediately and i slapped myself a few times.

Let it be known!

Danny

I saw an AT4040 picture on eBay with the mic on a stand with the mic sideways with a pop screen set up on the "top" end of the mic, too. ;)

Haha. I'm trying to get a really fat, scary guitar sound so what popped into my head was get a 421, 57, and do a DI through Amp farm or Amplitube all at the same time. :eek: Anyone had sucess with something like that before? Two mics on same speaker/diff speakers? I guess I'll just play around with it, but if anyone has had some astnonishing results before, I'd like to hear :cool:

yes the Sm57 and MD421 on guitar cab is a very common combination.

But i find that if the 57 doesnt work, the MD421 will and using them together isnt necessary.

I dont think the 57 works well with some styles of distortion guitar. The mids on them are not very clean in my opinion. So if thats the problem, the MD421 will usually take care of the problem. The 421 has much crisper highs and a tighter mid and low end.

dudge - really? so i guess ive been using that mic wrong too! ;)

I Just Bought An Md421 And Have Yet To Use It. I Don't Understand, I'm Supposed To Point It Straight Forward Like A Regular Mic? Why Is There That Piece Of Plastic Across The Front? Won't That Muffle Some Of The Sound?

Also, If I Miked An Amp Using The 57, And The 421, What Would Be A Good Common Position For The Mics? I've Heard Of People Miking Up On The Grill With One Mic And Then A Few Feet Back With Another "delay" Mic. If I Did This What Would Be The Best Mike To Put On The Grill Of The Amp, And Which Would Be Better For The Mike Farther Back?

If you're going to try dual micing the amp, try the 421 in close and use a LDC a few feet away...assuming you have an LDC and that your room doesn't sound too bad.

I just recently bought a 421 as well. It hasn't arrived yet, but I can't wait to see how it sounds on electric guitar cab.

Micing a (guitar) amp will work very good with a MD421 MKI, but it works very good in a different way with a Beyer M88 (talking about tight).

Right now I'm very happy with the SP B1 on guitar and bass amps, they sound huge!

Back