MD Drum Recording Series

chellman

The issue of Modern Drummer that's out now has the first of a series of articles they're releasing on drum recording at home. They're written by Chris Vrenna, of NIN and more. The first one just covers his choice of mics, and a little bit of the materials used to treat the room he uses.

If you see it on the newstand, take a peek. It's the one with ?uestlove on the cover. I'm not whoring for MD, I just figured it was worth mentioning. :)

Modern Drummer Rules!

Chellman- that was a great issue of MD, as most of them are. I don't mind whoring for MD, I'll go back and read articles from 20 years ago and still get a lot out if it.

Vrenna mentioned an old three-finger rule that I'd forgotten about. Whenever I was doing sessions in a professional studio, the engineers would always place a mic as close to the snare as possible, facing down, without actually touching the head. I was using that technique in my home studio, but never really liked the sound I was getting.

In Vrenna's article he suggested stacking three-fingers length from the head, pointed toward the center of the drum. This technique yields a much more usable sound for my tastes.

Cheers, Rez

Last edited:
Cool. I know commercial stuff is frowned on here (and I think rightfully so), so I'm trying to be careful. I agree the issue is a good one. The ?uestlove interview is cool, the recording thing is cool, the Earl Palmer thing is short but interesting. I unsubbed a few years ago because I wasn't happy with the quality of the writing anymore. Maybe they're getting things together again.

I like modern drummer. I especially liked the nylon tip paradiddle practice session that they had about a year ago. That was awesome!

Back