mbox2 help please

Monsterpop

MBOX 2 help Please
Hello Guys And Gals
ive just got rid of my trusty wee Fostex MR8 Recorder
and bought the MBOX2 Factory Bundle.
What i would like to know is if i can load it on up to my C drive on the pc,,
and use the enormous empty F drive(called Data on mine)
to save whatever i do on it?
i ask because it says in the MBOX 2 manual that
"although it can be used on a system drive,it is not recommended"
so i dunno if im wasting my time installing it now,,or if i would actually have to buy an external drive to install the whole thing on?
also please bear in mind that i really have no experience of this machine,,
or indeed computer recording of any kind.
or in other words,,i have no idea what im talking about!

i have now had the thing lying unopened for about 6 weeks,,
and im itching to get started trying to figure out what its all about!
thank you in advance for any help you can offer me;-)
Cheers
JimmyD :)

I am assuming you are using a PC as most Mac users make it a point to mention their OS. The ideal setup would be to load the PT app on your hard drive (C:) under programs and then add an external hard drive to store all of your session data. You can store it on your C: drive, but it takes up a lot of space, and if something happens to your PC, you lose it all. One other hint, make sure you have as few processes running in the background at start up as possible. One other piece of advice, if you decide to surf the net, or run other apps, close Pro Tools. Might check out the Digidesign User Conference for further info.

SIM

Hey Monsterpop - you don't need an external HD, you can run ProTools using your C drive to run the application and your F drive as the audio drive and should have no problems (I've run an MBox system before on internal IDE drives with no problems). It is advisable to use a different physical drive for your audio, but it can be internal.
SIM1 has good advice re keeping the system clean... a couple other tweaks include turning off system sounds and not running any anti-virus software.

Dr B is right on the drives. One last thing, make sure in session setup to always makes sure Mac/PC Compatibility is answered yes. Although now you might not think it will be an issue, it never hurts.

Back