MBox pre amp or new one

Brian_SG

i'm on a very limited budget being 19 and at school for most of the time. i have a MBox2 mini and am going to be recording my amp through a mic. my question is should i get the ART Tube MP Studio because its dirt cheap now or should i not bother and get a pre amp later on down the road?

I can't imagine that the ARTpreamp is any better than the one in the MBox. The toob is a distortion device - not a real tube preamp. I'd vote that you save your money and buy something better later on.

thats kinda what i was figuring on...what about the DMP3 because that seems to be talked about as one of the best bang-for-your-buck pre's out there and it still could be in my range for the short term

It is better than the ART. Do you have a way to bypass the preamp in the MBox mini? Check your documentation, but I'm not sure that the line in bypasses the preamp (you usually need to use an insert to bypass the pres in these all-in-one boxes). If it doesn't bypass the MBox preamp and you don't have an insert, I'm not sure how much you will gain by having a different preamp as the signal will still go through and be affected by the MBox preamp.

Back