Maybe this will help some of you...

dacalion

First, Im no music perfectionist but I do have alot of music background including a sound engineering degree. While my specialty is sound, I'm trying to get more into music production. So, these are some tips that have REALLY helped my music and I wanted to share them with you. Hopefully it will help somebody.

Production Tips - Experiment with your music, play around with Velocity, Panning and Volume levels. Find one of your favorite songs and listen very close to one instrument at a time. Note the attack of each note, how it pans, and how the volume changes in a phrase. Then imulate it in your music.

Ear Stress - Take a break from your music from time to time. After listening to the same thing over and over, your brain starts to get tired. You will start hearing what you want to hear rather than what is really being played. Ever work on a beat for hours then walk away and come back later to find something totally wrong with it? Then you ask yourself, wtf? This is the #1 sign of working under stress.

The Next Room Sound Check - Put one of your masterpieces on and go listen to it in another room. If you have a note or 2 off in your project, sometimes going in the next room will make it easier to hear than sitting right in front of your monitors. Sounds have different cycles and the futher you are away from it, the clearer the mistakes are.

Subtle Effects - Play around with subtle effects on parts of your music. Add some lite reverb, echo, or any other effect you have to mainly your mids and highs, again walk away for a minute and just listen to how it sounds at a distance. Believe me, you will hear a difference. The idea is to have it sound good from afar as well as upclose.

Careful EQ'ing - Personally, I will EQ the major parts of my beat in the master settings, then I listen for each instrument and EQ it on the individual track, very small changes to this and that where they are needed will REALLY improve your overall sound. If you don't think this is important, listen to any song thats on hidden beach records. Overall they have the best sound quality of recordings on the market by far. Very crisp and clear recording will make your beat sound good even if it isn't composed good.

Mastering - Play around with your compression settings. Don't just click the mastering button and be done with it. Learn what Threshold, Ratio, Gain, Attack and Release mean and do for your music. It's very simple and it will make a ton of difference in your final product.

OK I was bored and felt like typing a little something that may help you guys but now I'm tired and it's PS3 time....lol. Try these techniques out, it will really help your music. I've got a loooong way to go but you all should have heard the stuff I was doing 6 mos. ago. You would be amazed at the progress that I have made in my music production. Also, do those flips, it will improve your skills dramatically. Good Luck!

:D dac :cool:

Last edited:
Some good tips... I'll put X's on the ones I feel should be changed, deleted, ilrelevent, or shouldn't be done.

Production tips... personally experimentation is good. Playing around with velocity, panning, volume levels isn't the way to go. Know wtf your doing before thinking that "playing" with anything is the answer.......... ie. each beat of a project will not all sound the same, will not all pan out the same,

Room Check. Eh, I half agree on this and don't. If you don't have a treated & tuned room, maybe this would be a good idea. I wouldn't say that the further the sound the more clearer the mistakes are.... Use your ears.

Mastering. Suprised that you being a engineer would call that mastering...

Other than that & a couple things, good guide of direction for those who don't know.

First, Im no music perfectionist but I do have alot of music background including a sound engineering degree. While my specialty is sound, I'm trying to get more into music production. So, these are some tips that have REALLY helped my music and I wanted to share them with you. Hopefully it will help somebody.

X Production Tips - Experiment with your music, play around with Velocity, Panning and Volume levels. Find one of your favorite songs and listen very close to one instrument at a time. Note the attack of each note, how it pans, and how the volume changes in a phrase. Then imulate it in your music.

Ear Stress - Take a break from your music from time to time. After listening to the same thing over and over, your brain starts to get tired. You will start hearing what you want to hear rather than what is really being played. Ever work on a beat for hours then walk away and come back later to find something totally wrong with it? Then you ask yourself, wtf? This is the #1 sign of working under stress.

X The Next Room Sound Check - Put one of your masterpieces on and go listen to it in another room. If you have a note or 2 off in your project, sometimes going in the next room will make it easier to hear than sitting right in front of your monitors. Sounds have different cycles and the futher you are away from it, the clearer the mistakes are.

Subtle Effects - Play around with subtle effects on parts of your music. Add some lite reverb, echo, or any other effect you have to mainly your mids and highs, again walk away for a minute and just listen to how it sounds at a distance. Believe me, you will hear a difference. The idea is to have it sound good from afar as well as upclose.

Careful EQ'ing - Personally, I will EQ the major parts of my beat in the master settings, then I listen for each instrument and EQ it on the individual track, very small changes to this and that where they are needed will REALLY improve your overall sound. If you don't think this is important, listen to any song thats on hidden beach records. Overall they have the best sound quality of recordings on the market by far. Very crisp and clear recording will make your beat sound good even if it isn't composed good.

X Mastering - Play around with your compression settings. Don't just click the mastering button and be done with it. Learn what Threshold, Ratio, Gain, Attack and Release mean and do for your music. It's very simple and it will make a ton of difference in your final product.

OK I was bored and felt like typing a little something that may help you guys but now I'm tired and it's PS3 time....lol. Try these techniques out, it will really help your music. I've got a loooong way to go but you all should have heard the stuff I was doing 6 mos. ago. You would be amazed at the progress that I have made in my music production. Also, do those flips, it will improve your skills dramatically. Good Luck!

:D dac :cool:

Some good tips... I'll put X's on the ones I feel should be changed, deleted, ilrelevent, or shouldn't be done.

I somewhat respect this because of 2 words that you used in that statement..."I feel":cool:, meaning that this is your opinion and you're entittled to that. Your opinion is like mine, neither one of us are the authority on this issue...lol but lets run this down...

Production tips... personally experimentation is good. Playing around with velocity, panning, volume levels isn't the way to go. Know wtf your doing before thinking that "playing" with anything is the answer.......... ie. each beat of a project will not all sound the same, will not all pan out the same,

I never said that this was the answer to anything...where did you get that? :confused:Oh you made it up...(ok). The number one way of learning what each element does is by "playing" around with what they do. However, you contradicted yourself by saying "
personally experimentation is good." So is it? or is it not?:cool:

then you said..."ie. each beat of a project will not all sound the same, will not all pan out the same." This is common sense...but it seems that you didn't read the next sentence which says listen to each element of a song and imulate it. moving on...:rolleyes:

Room Check. Eh, I half agree on this and don't. If you don't have a treated & tuned room, maybe this would be a good idea. I wouldn't say that the further the sound the more clearer the mistakes are.... Use your ears.

Either you don't know what a tuned room is or you are very, very, out of touch with reality. How many cats (even signed producers) have tuned rooms in their home? lol, and here's a lil secret for you...a tuned room is for mastering not producing a beat! Wait a minute...(devils advocate)...do you produce beats in a Mastering Studio? Seriously, it's possible :rolleyes:

Mastering. Suprised that you being a engineer would call that mastering...

At this point, I'm not sure of where you're coming from...lol:confused:, but anyway, This was another one that you obviously didn't read all the way through because if you had you would have noticed that this was a suggestion to learn some of the key points in mastering and compression. I never said :eek:"THIS IS HOW YOU MASTER!!!":mad:

Other than that & a couple things, good guide of direction for those who don't know

BINGO YO! You finally got one right! Thats who this was for, those that need it, kinda like the reason they put napkin holders on tables! ;)

Look, most people that make discrediting comments usually have some issues within themselves, whether it be a serious mental one or something as simple as a "need to impress" complex. I have no idea where you're coming from but my suggestions are just that... suggestions...nothing more, nothing less....it doesn't matter if I have a degree or not, it doesn't have anything to do with who I am or anything else...It's just a suggestion. Everyone here can either try it out or not, thats totally up to them.

Don't get emotional on me, I'm just doing me and lending a hand whenever possible. No need for this to get all ugly.

peace,
dac:D

Good tips Dac. I would like to share a couple of mine as well. And BTW, i am not disagreeing with what you two have already stated:D

Im possitive that there is no right way to make your beats, everyone has their own techniques that they have picked up along the way. I started making beats by just using all the stock sounds in FL. Now I sample alomst everything, right down to the hats. I will walk through a quick demo of what I do to create a beat.

First I listen to a shit load of music and try to find something I can use that I LIKE, not just something that will work. Once I find a track I open up Acid and cut it up how I want. I will talk about getting the sample in correct timming, but I will not discuss how I change the tempo of the actuall sample, because its a little more involved.

I make most of my beats in the standard 4/4 timing. once i cut the sample, I then turn on the looping tool and adjust the BPM of the project and bring it to the end of the loop region. Doing this keeps the sample in the same timing, and allows me to find what the BPM will be. Once i do that I play the loop over and over and make sure it sounds good. I then mute any other tracks and render as wav file.

Next I open up FL and the first thing I do is set the BPM to match what it was in acid. I then set the number of bars, and then load the sample into a track. I go back to acid and repeat all of the above steps until I have enough samples.

Periodically I play around a little with the samples in FL to see how things are sounding, it helps me to decide what to look for in my next sample.

Once I get everything sampled that I want, I then save the acid project and close it. I go back to FL and start out by adding hats, kick and snare, but i just make a simple beat. The kick on 1 and the snare on 3 makes just the basic beat and is enough for me to work with. I now have a simple beat and I start to arrange my samples and sequence the entire track out.

Once all that is done, I start digging in my very small library of sampled drum sounds and look for something that fits. Once I find something I load the samples into the already existing drum tracks. I then work on the drums doing what I can to make it sound good.

After the track is basically done, drums and everything is sequenced I may play around a bit with panning of samples or drum sounds. i make a lot of copies of tracks or samples, so I can use those sequenced out somewhere else and add a different effect to them, panning, velocity, etc...

once all is said and done, I render all the sequenced samples as a wave file. I also render the sequenced drum tracks as a wav file. Its easy to do this, same as the way I saved the samples originally, I just mute whatever I dont want saved/rendered. once i render everything I want broken up as a wav, I open up Acid again and bring the waves in to mix. Everything lines up and i start to mix. I usually add some light compression and volume and pan envelopes here. Sometimes Ill throw in a vocal sample or two at this point as well. Once I feel its finished and Ive listened to it through my monitors, a small set of stereo speakers and headphones and I feel it ready, I will save the entire project and also render as a high quality mp3 to give to whoever wants to write to it.

That is my process, maybe it will help you, maybe it wont. This is just what I do to get my work done. Maybe soon I will post a video of these steps if anybody would be interested.

liv_rong, just out of curiousity why do you use ACID to chop rather than edison...the reason I ask is because I used to do the same thing but found edison to be much better in my opinion.

I very rarely use ACID anymore and I'm slowly moving from FL7 to Ableton Live combined with Waves Mercury Collection for all my plug-ins. Anyway, very good technique above and great info.

Thanks Trumpspade...

dac

Well, I basically use acid bescause that is what I learned on. I play guitar and drums, and I record with acid as well. I can cut up my samples in there very fast, I see no need to learn anything else. I also have ableton, but do not like it. My take on it is if it aint broken why fix it?

I kinda feel the same way but I personally would trade in a brand new toyota for a brand new ferrari any day...lol. In general it's harder going from something that you know very well to something new and I believe that if you're comfortable with it then leave it alone.

I've always believed that its better to know what you got than have something new or different and half knowing it. Ok, just curious...

dac

I got you Dac. Im "old school' hahaha. Im so used to Acid and FL now, it would be hard to leave it. I had a firewire interface for multi track recording, and it came with Cubase so I recorded with that(befroe I got new Acid), and transfered the wav files to Acid from Cubase just because I couldnt get the workflow the same with Cubase for mixing.

I got the lite version of Ableton when I got my midi keyboard, but it sucked. So I tried a cracked full version of it to try it out, but I just was not feeling it. There where a lot of features that I liked, but just never got too into it. So I got rid of it and went back to the old way of doing things.

Its all really just a personal preference of how you like to work. The sound quality is no different on any one or the other, so I will keep it this way for a while, unless something comes along that I like.

Yeah I did the same with ProTools, It came with my M-Box interface, I'm just not feelin it at all. I use PT in the studio when laying down vocals for other people but besides that, PT is a no-go with me (for now anyway).

You're absolutely right about being comfortable with FL, thats why I haven't just dropped it. Ableton is nice IMO, but it hasn't justified deleting FL yet, and in all honesty, I don't ever foresee it happening...lol. The sequencer in FL is as good as they come IMO.

Oh, you do know that edison is a part of FL right?

dac

right....... nobodys' going emotional. I felt like help correcting some of the material you wrote down. Now, if you can't handle it, than I think you should b taking your own advice....
Look, most people that make discrediting comments usually have some issues within themselves, whether it be a serious mental one or something as simple as a "need to impress" complex. I have no idea where you're coming from but my suggestions are just that... suggestions...nothing more, nothing less....it doesn't matter if I have a degree or not, it doesn't have anything to do with who I am or anything else...It's just a suggestion. Everyone here can either try it out or not, thats totally up to them.
.... so lets run this down AGAIN :rolleyes:

Ok.

From what exactly your saying 'playing around with it' lets you learn. I say know wtf your turning and why allows you to learn faster.

I say, playing around with it does nothing to your knowledge of how the item really works. I doubt you or I would hire an engineer, that's first instinct on a comp would be "I usually have the knob turned this way, and that knob turn that way, because it sounded good".
No. That is not learning how to do X properly.

MASTERING.

Ok,
so you said.

Mastering - Play around with your compression settings. Don't just click the mastering button and be done with it. Learn what Threshold, Ratio, Gain, Attack and Release mean and do for your music. It's very simple and it will make a ton of difference in your final product.

SO.
When you titled the TIP - MASTERING, and refer to "play around with your compression settings".... THEN the next sentence says learn what Threshold, Ratio etc means & do in your music. SO it's very simple & makes a ton of difference.
HMMM.. So I didn't read the whole paragraph on Mastering? What else am I missing to read throughout the 3 sentence of great tips on MASTERING -? :confused:

Ok, about the rooms, a tuned room/enviornment is not just needed for mastering :rolleyes:

From the top of my head, I know around 40-50 cats that do music, that ALL tuned their enviornment. But that's not what I was trying to get at as the point. BUT WAIT. Maybe I take your advice, and give a shit about how accurate I can hear the instrumental being produced. I'm not saying it's NEEDED. Hmm, Great tip, go distances away from the source, so you can hear flaws? Your going to end up fucking yourself over anyways. What about delays? certain freq's being absorbed while others not, reflections through walls etc. SO what does that do to you? False mistakes, and making actual ones even more. That's like.. Whats that word. Stupid. ;)

Some of your tips, don't even contain helpful tips at all, just guiding some of these other cats into a line of thinking that will not help them at all in their future careers for those engineers & producers.

You know what ear stress is, you explained it quick & simple.
Then you come at it with Production Tips. go TRY and copy someone elses work. Not even giving really any good tips on producing anyways.
Remember people.
"Production Tips - Experiment with your music, play around with Velocity, Panning and Volume levels. Find one of your favorite songs and listen very close to one instrument at a time. Note the attack of each note, how it pans, and how the volume changes in a phrase. Then imulate it in your music" ;) :confused:
Right.
I doubt any of the successful producers out there sit around and turn their gain knob up & down or play with the panning.

Alex
:)

I somewhat respect this because of 2 words that you used in that statement..."I feel":cool:, meaning that this is your opinion and you're entittled to that. Your opinion is like mine, neither one of us are the authority on this issue...lol but lets run this down...

I never said that this was the answer to anything...where did you get that? :confused:Oh you made it up...(ok). The number one way of learning what each element does is by "playing" around with what they do. However, you contradicted yourself by saying "
personally experimentation is good." So is it? or is it not?:cool:

then you said..."ie. each beat of a project will not all sound the same, will not all pan out the same." This is common sense...but it seems that you didn't read the next sentence which says listen to each element of a song and imulate it. moving on...:rolleyes:

Either you don't know what a tuned room is or you are very, very, out of touch with reality. How many cats (even signed producers) have tuned rooms in their home? lol, and here's a lil secret for you...a tuned room is for mastering not producing a beat! Wait a minute...(devils advocate)...do you produce beats in a Mastering Studio? Seriously, it's possible :rolleyes:

At this point, I'm not sure of where you're coming from...lol:confused:, but anyway, This was another one that you obviously didn't read all the way through because if you had you would have noticed that this was a suggestion to learn some of the key points in mastering and compression. I never said :eek:"THIS IS HOW YOU MASTER!!!":mad:

BINGO YO! You finally got one right! Thats who this was for, those that need it, kinda like the reason they put napkin holders on tables! ;)

Don't get emotional on me, I'm just doing me and lending a hand whenever possible. No need for this to get all ugly.

peace,
dac:D

Back