maybe my friend has an Antonius Stradivarius violin!!!

OstiaMan

Hi!
heres the story:
some body gave my friend an old violin, he put it on a closet for 5 years and a week ago he open it and he se a label that said "Antonius Stradivarius cremonenfis 1733" and has the round logo whith the cross. I know It can (and probably is) fake. I know there are good replicas of the original and that they migth worth something.
-but is there any way of knowing if its real?
there are no violin lutiers here in Puerto Rico, so were takin it to the first violin player of the puerto rico synphony, to see what he think.
anybody knows something abut old violins?

P.S. It also have an iscription on the back "cremonae" I belive that was a violin lutiers school, Im not really sure.

thanx!

I'll GUARANTEE it's not a Strad.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but you have to know: that was the most common trick in the book a hundred years ago. Everybody's grandmother has an old violin with a sticker like that.

Enjoy the instrument for what it is, and don't worry about what it's not!:cool:

I think DavidK said something once about having a Strad for a while. I'm sure he'd know for sure. But, treeline is most likely right.

Though it's very unlikely to be the real deal (my fiddle has a strad label, too), take the prudent advice given above and don't sell it to the person who appraises it for you. Make sure the evaluation is by a disinterested party. It may be very obvious to an expert that what you have is not genuine, but you don't know yet (though I don't blame Treeline for the guarantee - the odds against are ridiculous).

When I bought mine, the dealer explained that many or most old violins are copies of models made by Stradivarius, and they have labels that might lead one to believe they are the original, especially if you don't read Italian. Sometimes they were intended to fool someone (or just to look exactly like the original), and sometimes they indicate that they are a reproduction.

Does the thing look almost 300 years old? Are there any other labels or writing inside which might give you a clue to its history? It has likely been repaired at some time, and sometimes they will record the dates and location, etc. Try to talk to more than one person who has the requisite expertise. You will learn enough to offset the fact that you feel stupid asking. :D

It could still be a very nice instrument, whether made by the Man or not (or not). How does it sound? :cool:

i would love to ask my mom about it (she played violin and viola for almost all her life) but she is outta the country right now.. LoL

but if it is.. wow... thats amazing.... and of course, if its not... tell your friend to practice and play well with it so ppl might think its the real thing :)

no matter how good the instrument is.. you gotta play it right to make it sound beautiful ya know?

Back