Maybe It's the Strings

Sailjunkie

Interesting...I just picked up a Fender American Standard Stratocaster. It IS a very sweet guitar, but, just for kicks, I pulled out my 1987 Fender Squire Stratocaster (made in Japan) to do a side by side comparison. Low and behold, the PUPs in the Squire are hotter than those in the American Standard! In fact, except for the fact that one of the frets on the Squire needs to be filed down...it has the same feel as the American Standard. Although I'm not disappointed, I am surprised. I'll also add that I have an Epiphone ES 175 ReIssue guitar that looks and sounds amazing...I had to special order it from GC, and when it came in, even the guitar techs were surprised how nice the guitar was. I guess money isn't everything.

Very True, BUT

Like I said before...I was amazed at how "close" the two guitars are with regard to set up, and tonal characteristics. I had heard that the early, Japanese Squires were pretty nice guitars, but I just figured that out to be someone's opinion. No worries though...I've got to love my MIA Strat (for $700.00 used), but I think I'll hang on to my good old $149.00 (back in '87) Squire.

Back