May Song

I'll hit this on the monitors in a bit. Initial thoughts are:

"WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST USING REVERB ON YOUR VOCAL TRACKS?"

lol...

Overall, it sounded pretty great (as expected from you), but I don't trust what I'm listening on right now.

bbl.

Very nice! The intrument mix sounded well balanced on this end (you can just make out the piano towards the back of the mix which gives it a cool quality) I thought when the vocal came in that it was a little bit hot on my end, but it may just be my computer.

I think the vocal would benefit from a little bit of echo/reverb and maybe if it was more integrated with the rest of the mix -- imho -- :)

I like the song. It has a cool groove to it!

Yeah man...vocal might be a touch hot in a couple of places, but it may be just dryer than I'm used to.

The pno, I liked a lot.

You've heard my crap...we're just doing different stuff, lol, so don't take my "advice" too seriously...(I'm sure you're not :D)...WHERE'S B.SABBATH WHEN YOU NEED HIM???

Oh cool...been a while man! Good thing I have a Cranky folder since you only keep on tune up at NWR.

Hey when do we get some real titles out of you anyway? :)

Man that's one clean frigging recording. Smooth!

One thing I gotta say I admire about this, is despite your lack of vocal confidence, you submitted this without burying the vocals. In fact they are dry as can be. Commendable bravery. :D

You come up with some awesome changes. I love riding your songs. Always an adventure.

As much of a pain in the ass as it would be to pull off, I would love to work on something with you and Sam. That is, if he ever comes back on line again. Would be even more fun if we could all be in the same room.

Great stuff brother. Tight.

sweet....man that piano part is awesome....you guys with these FEEL IT IN YOUR GUTS bass drums make me SICK!....damnit..the mix sounds great ...the rythym guitar could maybe sound a bit more full thats the only thing i noticed ...compared to the drums that is....yeah vocals are dry bu ti thought they sounded pretty good none the less..at 1:52 that off feel drum is very cool....is this all drum loops??...(sorry if its not it just sounds so damn good)...

great stuff, Mays been good to you.

jamal

chrisharris : Well, I COULD use reverb but I really don't want to hide the vocals. I know they're badly performed and off and all that, but I still don't want to hide them. :D Maybe I should use tiny bits of reverb, though. I do have a delay on them. I *do* take your advice seriously. I just tend to forget alot of advices when doing the next one :D

SLuiCe : The real titles are coming as soon as I finish my June and July songs. June is already finished, and July is currently in the works. I guess I have a foolish bravery on the vocal mix :D The collaboration thing could be great (or a disaster :D ). Could be worth a try. I think we all have our own ideas so it could be a battle of egos :D ... but I think the idea is worth a shot. And thanks.

Jamal Bucket : Thanks. The piano part and the rhythm guitar riff were one of the riffs I wrote back in '96. Also the off-drum part as you call it. And the thing about the rhythm guitar not being full enough... It's my constant problem. There's a constant fight in the mix between guitars and drums, and I've yet to find a good balance. And about the drums, I've not used any loops, but they're not real. Midi drums mixed on separate channels (1 for kick, 1 for snare, 1 for toms, 1 for cymbals).

boydrj : It seems people agree about the hot vocals. I'm sure the next one will have the same problem too, since it's already mixed and I'm too lazy to correct it now :D And thanks about the groove coments.

Love the guitar and the changes - as usual. It's been a while. Seems like less changes than usual. Is that the case, or an illusion created by having a vocal part?
I'm listening on headphones 'cause my girlfriend is sleeping (I like my mornings w/ HR to myself) so I can't really comment on the mix. Maybe the kick in the gut Jamal is talking about will be more apparent with speakers. As others said, vocals sound dry. They could sit a little more nicely without having to bury them.
Really interesting sound at 2:16 where you had a unison w/ the snare and bass guit. Nice touch.
Heard some kind of "bird sound" at 2:46 that might have been string scraping (again, listening thru phones). But it sounded really cool. If possible, it would be cool to bring out.
Love that guit part at 4:46 that starts like a louder rhythm part that turns into lead - great change!

I haven't been around in awhile and look what I dug up on page 4.. :D

great tune! your singing is getting better! The vocal sound is good but as others mentioned it could sit in the mix better.. Only in some spots.. Maybe some compression or something.. Love the piano.. (I know it's programmed but I still like it)

the vocals have some rough spots but considering the improvement they're sounding good.. always good guitars and drums.. it has the Cranky sound... really good vocal melody too..

cool breaks @3.. keep em coming!

B.SABBATH said:
I haven't been around in awhile and look what I dug up on page 4.. :D

great tune! your singing is getting better! The vocal sound is good but as others mentioned it could sit in the mix better.. Only in some spots.. Maybe some compression or something.. Love the piano.. (I know it's programmed but I still like it)

the vocals have some rough spots but considering the improvement they're sounding good.. always good guitars and drums.. it has the Cranky sound... really good vocal melody too..

cool breaks @3.. keep em coming!

I guess it's really apparent the vocals are too dry. The next song will have a similar mix also, and I'm too lazy to re-mix it now, since it was completed the same day as this one. I'm gonna upload it in a while. I did use some compression, but maybe not enough. I'm not that good at using them on vocals anyway. In fact, I suck at mixing vocals. Not enough experience on that.

But thanks and welcome back :D

Back