MAudio Nova once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipsus

I noticed that this budget mic gets 95% positive reviews everywhere except here.

I mean, almost every single review out there says something like "sounds like twice the price" etc

But on this forum people tend to either "I don't know this mic, but a Behringer (or Samson or any other cheap mic under 100$) is nice for the price" or "it sucks, buy Luna (or any other more expensive mic)" without any actual explanation of what is wrong with it.

I'd be very interested in hearing opinions of actual owners of MAudio Nova, what's good in it, what's bad, why it is better/worse than say Behringer B2. In other words, no "it just sucks" style posts please

Thanks

Can't comment on the Nova (except the Chevy Nova), but I can tell you the Luna is pretty nice, full sounding, and not hyped. Sorry that's all I can offer.

I'm not an owner of any of their mics but I've had literally dozens of engineers that I highly respect recommend maudio mics to me. John Scrip of Massive Mastering seems to love his maudio mic and I rarely hear anything bad at all about them. However some of the best, most expensive mics may not work for what you want to do. So really what you need to do is get it from a dealer that'll let you return it(tell them to shove that fake ass hygene law up their asses) try it, and see if it's something that's going to work in your setting.

My experience with the Nova made me feel that the mic was a little flat sounding. Flat in the same way that an SM-57 leaves me feeling flat. Just kind of dry and "meh". The odd thing is that works for a lot of different recording situations.

I tried the Nova capsule in a modified MXL 2003 with better capacitors and it sounds WAY thicker with the Nova capsule than the stock 797 capsule. I just think the Nova's electronics might be half assed, because they have a good sounding capsule there!

I don't know.. Tried contacting M-Audio with vague results, the guys are just too lazy to mess with curious customers like myself..
Anyway, I'm having trouble finding serious differences between Luna and Nova, here are the official specs:

Luna:

single-pattern cardioid condenser
large solid brass capsule
1.1” evaporated gold diaphragm
+/- 1dB tolerance across entire frequency range
vintage sound, modern technology
Class A FET electronics
includes shock mount and hard case

frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
sensitivity: 16 mV/Pa (-36dBV)
max. SPL for 0.5% THD: 130dB
equivalent noise level: 14dB (A-weighted)
output impedance: 200 ohms
recommended load impedance: > 1,000 ohms
power requirement: 48-volt phantom power
connector: 3-pin male XLR
dimensions/weight: 21 x 8 x 5 cm - 0.68 kg

Nova:

affordable large capsule cardioid condenser
1.1” evaporated gold diaphragm
solid brass capsule
Class A solid state electronics
+/-1dB tolerance across entire frequency range
20Hz-18kHz frequency response
includes hard mount and soft case

type: large diaphragm condenser, gold evaporated
polar pattern: cardioid
frequency response: 20 Hz-18 kHz
sensitivity: 16 mV/Pa (-36 dBV)
max. SPL for 0.5% THD: 128 dB
equivalent noise level: 14 dB A weighted
output impedance: 200 ?
recommended load impedance: > 1,000 ?
preamp topology: Class A FET preamp
power requirement: 48 V phantom power
connector: 3-pin male XLR
grille and body: Wire mesh grille and body, all brass
finishing: Silver nickel plating
dimensions/weight: 19 x 5 cm - 0.65 kg

Maybe there's something to be read into the hi freq response-- the nova is +-1dB to 18khz and the Luna to 20. So we can imagine that the Nova also has more variability in response as frequency approaches that 18K mark. That would fit the "flat" comment above.

Perhaps but I did some FFT analysis of recorded noises, compared that to other mics etc, there are no peaks of 10dB or anything like that and the response does fall off a bit above 18kHz but then again 20kHz+ is only about 6dB down. Heck, I'm 20 now and I can't hear anything above 19kHz or so..
Cuold someone please explain how exactly HF response relates to flatness?

Official response from M-Audio

I have just received an email from M-Audio with polar and frequency response graphs. They had to email their tech staff in USA or something..
Anyway, the Nova has some slight bumps (2,5dB or so) at 8kHz and 12kHz and then gradually slopes to -2dB at 20kHz. Flat to +-1dB elsewhere. So not that bad for a budget microphone

Nova

In a controlled environment, the nova sounds awsome! If your in a dry vocal booth it will sound amazying! It is a great mic for the price and to have in your collection.

You might want to add EQ to the recorded source to add an extra punch. But if you are looking for a great sounding mic for your collection It is worth buying :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back