math rock

ChrisVoss

hey mates. im thinking about recording my band's debut EP on my computer so i put together this demo to see where i'm at. the drums, bass and synth were put together in fruity loops. guitars were thru a v-amp. vocals thru a cheap radioshack mic. mixed in cool edit.

the vocals arent too great... overcompressed and a little too much autotune, imo. im planning on getting a condenser mic for the final product. the guitars might be a little too fuzzy. im gonna redo the drums to make them sound a bit more realistic and might even record a real crash/ride live.

as far as the mix i cant really tell if its too airy or not. does anyone have any tips on how i could clear it up a bit?

comments? suggestions?

thanks a lot

Sorry, no mix comments, but I think you should continue to pursue music because the writing is there. The rest will come as your equipment gets better.

Definitely persue different ways to record guitars.
Distortion guitar is really tricky to get recorded.
Generally less is more when it comes to recording distorted guitar.

A lot of homereccers go with live HiHat and Ride cymbals, you should persue that.

The vocal sounded good, I'd 86 the autotune, but thats just me:D

Great song!
Very clever lyrics..."equations do not lie"...you got that right!

On the recording/mix side....

- I think the vocals sound great, personally.
- The synth sounds a bit too cheesy, IMO.
- Distorted guitars are a bit too loud in the mix
- The guitar sound overall is decent. I would suggest doing it the old fashioned way as a comparison.

Good stuff.

BTW, what is "autotune"?

-Tim

says weezer all over it.

The guitars could come down a bit. If you find that thins it out a little, you could double up some of the guitar parts (record the same thing again and mix it in).

I like the tune AND the mix for the most part.

As for the synth...it's math rock...it's SUPPOSED to sound cheesy! :D

I agree, the melodies sound almost exactly like weezer. I really think you should find a drummer and lose the synthetic drums. I think they sound cheesy on a song like this. Guitar tone isn't bad, but needs some mixing and maybe another part to break it up a little.

You're off to a good start. That is going to be a tough mix with all the DI instruments and samples. It's hard to do rock without micing some drums and real amps.

the title through me off a bit

"math rock" lol, i was expecting dillinger escape plan, Spiral architect or some Canvas solaris and i got weezer instead. I guess i should have read the other post before downloading.
Overall its a pretty good effort. I would definantly ditch the digital drums and get a real drummer. At the very least i would switch to a different set of samples. Most bands in this genre have that "garage" sound to their drums.
I like the synths, they are cheesy sounding but they seem to fit with the style.
Maybe add some delay or reverb to that guitar solo, its doesn't sit very well to my ears.

Back