Material hunt....

Amateur Eric

I'm still in the process of turning my 9'-8" X 12'-8" bedroom into my recording/practice studio. After learning as much as I could from this and other forums online, I consulted Auralex and got a couple of recommendations based on the size/construction/gear placement/etc. of my room. One of the concerns I have is that the front wall of the studio has a closet (of which I've removed the doors) and a wall which has a 3" deep kick out approximately 2 feet wide. Because of this uneven area and the closet opening, I can't put a solid wall of acoustic foam there. Auralex suggested I could hang a heavy theatrical curtain of a minimum of 15 oz. per square yard. Any idea's where I can get material such as this that would look pleasing to the eye as well?

Eric

You should probably check out microcosm panels. (www.microcosmmedia.com). Their panels have a solid backing that allows them to be hung over windows and such. They could probably be used in some way to deal with your situation.

Personally, I wouldn't be so worried about your closet and your kick out. Believe me, you don't want to treat your entire wall anyways. If you do your room will sound too dead.

Those fancy foam products look cool but the truth is none of them perform as well as simple 703 rigid fiberglass panels and they cost 10x as much.

Back