Matched/Unmatched price difference

Funky_A

Is it normal that the (for example) a pair of MXL 603 Matched pair are 320 euro's and an unmachted pair 199 euro?

I'm just really curious I've got a budget of 400 euro's to spent on a overhead or a "set" of overheads. And if I'd buy the 199 euro couple I have some extra to invest in another Sennheiser MD421 for my toms.

But is there really such a big difference?

I'm also looking into a Rode NT5 pack, which are 300 euro, matched pair.

Really sucks that the music store does not rent so I can test..I have to read and buy :(..can't test.

My advice is to save up if you really want to do some stereo recordings... I bought two 603s unmatched and awful results.. One mic sounded TOTALLY different than the other...... I got so mad that I forced them to take 'em back (regardless of their Nazi policy..)... Matched is the only way to go if you want matched results... Or maybe I just got burned...

Edit: Since you are doing overheads, it might not make as much of a difference.. Not one of my areas of expertise (yet)....

peritus said:
My advice is to save up if you really want to do some stereo recordings... I bought two 603s unmatched and awful results.. One mic sounded TOTALLY different than the other...... I got so mad that I forced them to take 'em back (regardless of their Nazi policy..)... Matched is the only way to go if you want matched results... Or maybe I just got burned...

Edit: Since you are doing overheads, it might not make as much of a difference.. Not one of my areas of expertise (yet)....

Yeah. They won't be needed for complete overheads like toms and snare. Those will be as much as possible cut out of the mix and even the I'll make that sure in the mic placement.
I can say that on the left it should get the following cymbals:
17", 18" crash & Mini Chinese 12"
richt mic 18" 16" crash,20" china & ride.
I have a seperete one on the hats.

So if there's any difference it's actually no problem to me, I'll just await maybe some more response of people and see their opinion.

Anyway..you got a matched pair now? Still MXL603's?

Funky_A said:
Yeah. They won't be needed for complete overheads like toms and snare. Those will be as much as possible cut out of the mix and even the I'll make that sure in the mic placement.
I can say that on the left it should get the following cymbals:
17", 18" crash & Mini Chinese 12"
richt mic 18" 16" crash,20" china & ride.
I have a seperete one on the hats.

So if there's any difference it's actually no problem to me, I'll just await maybe some more response of people and see their opinion.

Anyway..you got a matched pair now? Still MXL603's?

Yup... Haven't done my homework on the drum miking yet... Better left to someone more in the know....(Who I will learn from in the process (with ya), hopefully)...

As far as current equipment for dual mikes... I have put the small diaphram condensers on the back burner, so to speak, until I have more cash.. So nope... No 603s in a 40 mile radius of myself that I'm aware of... :(

P.S. I get good results on stereo miking my acoustic guitar with an obviously unmatched pair: Rode NT1A and Rode NT1000.... I find that I can get a pretty good range of styles and sounds from these two.... Only thing is that they are both large diaphram... Oh well... Poor is poor! :) Cheers

I think one of the reasons that it costs more for a matched pair is because someone has to take the time to match them. Somebody has to check that the mics are very similar in output, sound and frequency response...that takes time and effort!

Are they worth it? They wouldn't make them if they weren't. Matched pairs give your stereo image (the reason you have a pair) a more realistic sound. It would be wierd to st in front of a guitar and hear a great sound from a Martin in one ear and then hear a not so great 'no-name' brand guitar in the other...Not that that's what actually happens when you use non matching mics, but the idea's the same. If the mics don't 'hear' the same way and send a similar signal than your defeating the purpose of stereo...Unless you're trying to defeat the purpose of stereo.

Sometimes you can get away with it. My Mk012's aren't 'matched,' but they sound fairly even and fairly similar. I would be hard pressed to really hear a difference. I'm sure there are small inconisistencies, but I don't think they're really that big a deal...

jacob

Just my thoughts

Jacob

jkokura said:
Sometimes you can get away with it. My Mk012's aren't 'matched,' but they sound fairly even and fairly similar. I would be hard pressed to really hear a difference. I'm sure there are small inconisistencies, but I don't think they're really that big a deal...

Jacob

Ditto, my MK012's are, according to my measurements and null tests, remarkably well matched for a non matched pair from different lots. And these are from a company with an overblown bad reputation for poor QC.
I think there are applicatons where a matched pair is warrented, but most of the time I think it's a waste of money, especially if you can match a pair up by ear.

-RD

I agree that matched pairs might not always be needed. BUT, I would NEVER trust that two cheap mics sound very close at all! If you can't hear them both and try them on some things, the extra to buy a "matched" pair could surely save you a LOT of head aches.

For drum overheads, you will want a matched pair. If you are doing a X/Y pattern for mixing the drums, matched becomes more important.

As you get into more expensive mics, I think you will find that it is hard to detect differences between two "unmatched" mics of the same model.

Back