Matched Pairs don't matter

zer0sig said:
it seems to me (and i am an amateur, so don't kill me for suggesting it) that it should be possible to check matching by close-miking a simple source out of phase and monitoring the output with the right equipment.
Doesn't work all that easy - the resultant "difference signal" is so low, it's hard to tell exactly what you're listening to, and you don't know which mic is causing the problems if you do hear a difference.

I would recommend buying a matched/stereo pair of mics if you can afford it. It's a little cheaper than buying the mics seperately in the long run, and you can always find use for a matched pair of mics. They are a good investment IMHOP.

My MXL 603's bought at the same time match. But guess what? Nobody cares but us... The listener doesn't give a shit or a rat's ass.

I was listening to Townsend and Lane's Rough Mix from 1976/77, and it's really nice to listen to with headphones. Lots of nice panning. Some stereo stuff. I can't remember the tune, but an acoustic guitar was in the left channel, and in the right channel, I heard this sort of rummbling, and after a while I realized it was the acoustic guitar's stereo right -- probably with a mike close to the hole or to the right of it (I have to watch myself; I play left-handed, so, for me, the more bassier would be to the left of the hole). But the effect was cool. By the way, I first heard this when it was released, and it wasn't until now that I heard this stereo indifference -- just because now I'm a studio geek.

In other words, real people don't care what we fret over. I mean, really...

It's great to come out of the cave now and then and see that Harvey remains one of the greatest assets to the home recording enthusiast. Thank again.

Harvey Gerst said:
Doesn't work all that easy - the resultant "difference signal" is so low, it's hard to tell exactly what you're listening to, and you don't know which mic is causing the problems if you do hear a difference.

i was actually referring to using spectrum analysis/etc to determine it rather than just my ear, but point taken.

darrin_h2000 said:
What I dont understand is how these Harvey matched drivers could kill commies. What kind of weapon were they in?
I don't know what the government wanted to use these things for, and I didn't ask at the time.

We built many special government project stuff around that time. One was a 10 foot long exponential horn, made out of 1/4" steel plate, connected backwards. At the big end, we had an 8 foot by 8 foot opening, covered with a baffle board, filled with a combination of woofers and HF drivers. The small end had a 1 foot by one foot box. They used it to subject guages and instruments from jet fighters to high sound levels to measure how they'd hold up to SPL levels of 150 plus dB.

that sounds almost like an attempt at a somewhat compact infrasound weapon, harvey..

I can tell you for a fact that subjecting a fly to 150 dB of white noise for five minutes had no visible effect on the fly.

Harvey Gerst said:
I can tell you for a fact that subjecting a fly to 150 dB of white noise for five minutes had no visible effect on the fly.
I bet that fly had one hell of a headache afterwards. LOL :)

Harvey,

That's about the funniest thing I've read all night. thanks Harvey.

BTW, I'm taking the whole "BIG MIC THREAD" to the classroom this semester.. or at least PART of it.. hehe.. I wrote a paper for my Physics of Sound class about how and why the different types of microphones work and a VERY brief explanation of their different uses.. god this was a good experience.. I learned alot my having to do this paper.. thanks for kick-starting me.

-Brent

Hahaha...

Did anyone ever notice that Harvey just seems to pop out of nowhere whenever anyone mentions his name...

Back