Masterlink AES/SPDIF error? - need advice

Radovic

Ran into an interesting issue (problem) with the Masterlink and thought I should run this by you. The setup I am considering is:

1) Panasonic DA7 2-trk AES in/out connected to Masterlink AES in/out
2) RME HDSP 9652 2-trk spdif in/out connected to Masterlink spdif in/out

* This way I could record to the Masterlink from the DA7 and monitor playback utilizing AES - while
* I could transfer audio between the DAW and the Masterlink via spdif

Background:
When I only insert the AES cables between my DA7 and RME HDSP 9652 (No spdif cable inserted) both units lock up in sync. I can record a digital signal to the hard drive as expected

When I only insert the spdif cables between my Masterlink and RMS HDSP 9652 (No AES cables inserted) both units lock up in sync. I can record a digital signal to the hard drive as expected

The problem:
When I insert both the AES and SPDIF cables using the above cable configuration NO SIGNAL IS PRESENT BETWEEN THE MASTERLINK and the DA7 or RME HDSP 9652?

According to the Masterlink manual, both AES and spdif can be used as input simultaneously and could be a problem if a digital signal (audio) is found on both simultaneously. Do you have any clue to what is going on? Any question?

Thanks again,

Joe Radovic

Blue Bear,

I received the following from Alesis,
"Important: The ML-9600 does not switch between its balanced and unbalanced
digital audio inputs. Both inputs are active simultaneously, and if digital
audio data is sent to both inputs simultaneously data corruption will
occur."

Since "digital audio data" includes "word clock", and since both the DA7 and
the RME are always sending word clock, the preceding sentence directly
applies to your situation. You cannot send two word clocks to the Masterlink
at the same time.

You can have both plugged in, but one of the two units must always be off
when the other is on. "

So, I need to find a way to switch betwwen the two digital sources and aviod manualy unpluging cabels from any equipment. Close to a solution but not there yet.

Radovic

Blue Bear,

I think the digital patchbay would be a little overkill with regard to $$$ for a dual-source/single-target solution. I ran this by a couple of Hardware Engineers and they advised me to make a breakout box with a 6-pole double throw switch isolating the source of the digital AES or SPDIF signal. This solution would probably cost about $30.00 USD for parts.

I wish Alesis would have provided an IC switch on the front panel to select the digital input source similar to what TASCAM provides. I could just drill a hole into the cover and install a switch but that would void my warranty. Maybe after the warranty expires.

Thanks for the suggestion and if you are aware of any cost effective digital router or small digital patchbay please share your thoughts,

Radovic

Back