mastering with sonar

Nathan1984

Hey guys, I have a question. How do I use sonar to master my ep? Do I import my wav's as individual audio tracks, or how does this work? This is the first time experimenting with mastering a cd as a whole. Normally I will record one song and master just a single song, so obviously, all my songs levels are differnt, and sound completely horrible back to back on a cd. So, there isn't a better place to ask this question then right here.

So, there isn't a better place to ask this question then right here.

Or maybe in the mastering forum :)

I think this question is more about the art of mastering rather than the use of a specific program. You'll probably get better advice if you repost over in mastering.

CD Architect is good for that. But in Sonar, you could simulate the same thing, without a few features.
Import tracks and work on them so the songs sound same-ish...
Song 1 Track 1 Song 2 Track 1 Song 3 Track 1 Song 4 Track 1
Song 1 Track 2 Song 2 Track 2 Song 3 Track 2 Song 4 Track 1
Song 1 Track 3 Song 2 Track 3 Song 3 Track 3 Song 4 Track 1

I think you mis-interpretted what I was trying to say. I know what mastering is, and how to do it. I wanna know how to set up Sonar to do it. I wanna know if I should do each song individually or if there is a way in Sonar to place all my master mixes in sonar to master all of them together at once.

Or maybe in the mastering forum :)

I think this question is more about the art of mastering rather than the use of a specific program. You'll probably get better advice if you repost over in mastering.

yeah, are you saying to import all the songs as different tracks? I'm not sure I follow what you were trying to say.

Say you are mastering the stereo file only.... import a stereo file, then put the cursor at the end of the song, add a second of space then import the next song on the same track. Then you can compare by playing all the songs one after the other and perhaps do automation effects etc etc by envelopes.
Othe option is just import the songs each onto their own track and line them up so you can see the wav form differences and apply effects/eq to individual tracks then compare them.
I don't master so I wouldn't know yet what efects/eq's to use. If you want that info you need to talk to people who master.

Back