"mastering" with kristal?

JazzMasterWil

Ok guys, I know this is going to sound crazy but, I have a few questions for you guys. I start off by saying I downloaded kristal, and it seems pretty cool although I don't really get it yet. I'll tell you all my basic set up.

drums / vocals
Mics ---- > Mixer ----> 8 track recorder

guitar / bass
Guitar /bass ----> Pod / bass di ----> 8 track recorder

My 8 track transports files to my computer via the usb port. (It basically exports .wavs). There's only so much mastering I can do on my unit, and I'd like to be able to throw a little eq or compression (or just basically tweak) my songs before I burn them to a cd.

I know there's only so much I can do, because whatever I did would affect the "mastered" song. (They're basically finished when I export them)

But it would be handy if I could get all the songs to atleast the same volume. So track 1 isn't a lot louder than track 2 which is slighter louder than track 3 ect.......

Would kristal be a good program for doing something like this?

Should I try to export separate tracks out to kristal and then mix from there etc? (My 8 track will let my export tracks seperately, but it would be very nerve racking to keep going back and forth from the house to the "studio").

If I wanted to start recording primarily with kristal would I have to get a new audio card, or could I just snatch up a really cheap usb interface? . . . . . . . . All I would really need is one channel. I could hook my mixer into the interface and mix all the drum mics on the mixer, and then send that to one track. (That's what I do know with my 8 track).

Or should I just delete kristal and keep saving up for the lexicon omega? (When I do that, I'll ditch the 8 track and primararily record on the computer).

By the way, I play thrashy metal. And all I'm going for is a sound that's better than my mp3s. (click the link in my sig if you want to hear me suck). I know I can do better than that. :D

I don't want to spend a lot on a one channel interface, because I am planning on seriously upgrading within the next 6 months.

Any help would be greatly appericated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
So far, I'm loving the reverb on some of my intrumentals..... The reverb kinda sucks on my voice...... but it makes the snare sound a lot better.

I'd say if you can export seperate tracks, do it. Just save a copy of the file, in case you ness it up. If you have seperate tracks, it's easier to pan, and apply effects to only those tracks that need it. I don't know anything about this particular program, so am just generalizing here. If you are happy with what you are doing now, you could mix down to a stereo track, and use a pc program for just certain effects. That all just depends on what you find to work best. I use the pc for all mine, as my little 4 track is pretty limited on doing much, besides recording for the purpose of not forgetting an idea. Some people never use the pc, other than to convert it to an MP3 to share. All seems to work well.
Ed

Thanks for the help ed.

On an unrelated subject..... Would you like to be a guest vocalist on my band's ep? I love what you did with "shades of gray". I can't really pay you or anything, but I'd really appericate it. Just pm me if you're interested. :D

JazzMasterWil said:
Thanks for the help ed.

On an unrelated subject..... Would you like to be a guest vocalist on my band's ep? I love what you did with "shades of gray". I can't really pay you or anything, but I'd really appericate it. Just pm me if you're interested. :D
Any time dude.... :D

Kristal's a fine piece of freeware. It's got 2 VST plugin slots per channel and 3 on the master bus so you can use all the great freeware plugs available to process your files, and there are some really good ones. I have multitrack software that cost a lot, and I'm still impressed with Kristal... it works in 32 bit float, records at 24 bits, exports at 16 or 24 bits, and is very stable and simple to use.

Tracking to a stand-alone recorder and transferring the files to the computer for mixing is smart I think. It sure isn't going to crash in the middle of a take.

Tim

Back