*Mastering* using Optical audio transfer?

5150 Musician

Even though I find using all digital paths for recording causes the quality of the produced recording to sort of miss something. That's why I like to use alot of analog signal paths in my "home recording studio". I really like to intergrade teh digital and analog mediums of recording, that way the digital can do whatever the analog cannot and vise versa. After mixing down, in my opinion, I would want that left and right track to remain completely the way it was mixed down once it transfers its audio to the mastering device. This is why I like to use optical. I use the optical out on my VS1824-CD and plug into the optical in of my Terratec EWS 24/96 Mastering card. Currently using Sonar 3 for mastering.

Does anyone have any different approaches to mastering that they'd like to share?
What's your opinion on optical?

Optical Lightpipe is great for transfering, Im not sure what it would have to do with mastering unless your talking about a clean signal, clean signals always help in mastering. also lightpipe has the least amount of loss, far beyond anything else i have used.

Back