Mastering Question about Panning

yetipur

Hi,

So I record on my Fostex E-16 1/2" 16 track....mix...then go to my Fostex E-22 1/2" master deck. I get playback from my master deck with the panning I applied in my mixdown. Now my question, when I took my master reel to a mastering house, everything on my reel played back without any panning ie., all the sounds were right in the middle. Why is this so?

Thanks

You did something wrong somewhere...

Are you perhaps hooking the mono out of the console to the 2-track?

Wait - The tape plays back properly for you but is in mono at the mastering facility? Maybe they're doing something wrong...?

Hi Thanks for replying.

I used the buss outs on my board and did not enable the "stereo" button or use the stereo outs when I went to my master deck, although I still hear things panned. Should I have used those stereo functions?

If the monitor outs are stereo and the buss outs are mono (or more accurately, if both busses are the same**), then you're going to have problems... Main/tape outs to the deck.

** Stereo isn't "left" and "right" -- It's the difference between "1" and "2" - We call that "left and right" because that's typically where they will go. In any case, if there is no difference between outputs, you're going to have a mono rendition of your mix.

Back