Mastering out of Sonar x1

James Bell

Sorry to ask such a open questions but there are so many way to master out things and I want to find what works for me. I recored the band on a Tascam DP 24,Drums, guitars bas vocals. all track trasferd to pc opend up in Sornar x1. I have a good mix down now. I have pci sound card, m_audio. Now how do I put it out so it sounds good in different devices.

Thanks James

Last edited:
What kind of room treatment do you have and what monitors are you using?

Your room is going to be your best friend or worst enemy when you begin mastering to translate to the most outside mediums... If it cancels or hypes certain frequencies, and/or your monitors do the same, you will overcompensate those frequencies while adjusting to sound good from your console seat. Once you take that mix to your iPad/Car/mp3 player/boom box/home stereo, those overcompensations will jump right out at you.

You can't mix/master what your room/monitors aren't being truthful about.

To learn a bit more about treating your room, go here and read everything he generously makes available to us morons: Ethan Winer - Home Page or his company website: RealTraps - Home

Go forth and read! :)

Thanks man, I am in my Basement using headphones I have no real monitors yet. I can run my sound out of my pci sound card to stereo and out to some nice speakers if you that will help. Right now what I'm doing is masteringout to usb, wav. file at 44/16 and taking it out to the garage where I have a pc hooked up with some speakers. I will play it out loud in the garage and go back and forth many,many,many time trying to get a sound that I think sounds good. I also have my wife, brother, freind and anyone I can get to listen and ad feedback. this is something that take a good ear and a lot of readind up on, I have noticed.

I will going to you post now,
thanks again

You're on the right track, comparing your mix in various environments with multiple listeners... But, as you are noticing, when your headphones/room give you info that's not correct, it makes it harder to get a true translation to other listening areas, causing you to make many, many trips to the garage. :)
Keep reading up on how to use bass traps and absorbers to help you with your basement and, once implemented it will help you with this process immensely.
Best thing for your scenario until then is to listen to commercial music in your basement that you know VERY WELL, and appreciate sonically, preferably with speakers instead of the headphones.
Identifying how the commercial songs sound in your mixing environment and then comparing your own mixes to that benchmark should hopefully lessen your number of trips to the garage... ;)

Back