Mastering on Logic 9?

Zachyboy4

Does anyone have any experience using the Mastering preset in Logic 9? I want to take a swing at mastering, but I don't get how to use it.

-Thanks

Does anyone have any experience using the Mastering preset in Logic 9? I want to take a swing at mastering, but I don't get how to use it.
A) Learn your tools. B) LISTEN. C) Use the tools you need to use.

Presets are for demonstrating the abilities of the plug - Not for actually using. If you want to "take a swing at mastering" you need to know the tools.

Mix it and send it to DiscMasters for mastering you won't be sorry. Don't clip it first.
No comment.

Hiya, it's just I am not sure you understand the gravity of the question you pose.

EQ, compression, stereo adjustment, limiting analog/digital all have their places but need to be questioned in use so
the concept of a mastering preset is absurd.

You should check forums, A/B a lot, research the tools of the trade and reference commerical material in the genre you work in and listen on multiple systems and see if it your results sound good.

Thats your starting point.

cheers

i know how to master though. i asked does any one have any experience using the mastering on logic.

and got learn your tools, then jerk your ears off, then use your tools.

You may want to try mastering with Waveburner first (for those who aren't Logic users it's a separate program that is part of the Logic suite used to edit and master CDs).

You can use the same plug-ins on individual songs or on the overall CD and the learning curve is a lot less than using Logic. Besides, you will need to use it after processing anyway since that's where the final CD is made.

As far as the plug-ins themselves and how to use them, that's a very large topic that requires a book:

Logic Studio Effects

i know how to master though. i asked does any one have any experience using the mastering on logic and got learn your tools, then jerk your ears off, then use your tools.
If you know how, why would you possibly ask such a question? What's the difference which program you're using? Does everything sound different in Logic than it does in every other program? Are you routing to an analog chain and you're having trouble syncing clocks? Issues with PQ-coding?

"How do you use the mastering preset" is a relatively senseless question for someone who "knows how to master..."

Breathe John, if it wasn't so cold I would suggest a nice ride on the bike.

Some threads are a nice little exercise in testing the limits of your patience.

Aum.

You can "Master the basics", which means you are really good at the basic things.

Ha ha, excellent.

To the OP, mastering is a process, it isn't really about tools as these are present in most DAWs as well as Logic. Mastering engineers spend thousand on specially treated rooms and monitoring equipment so what you are really thinking about is finalizing your mix. Its not something you generally just dabble in, and bringing tracks up to commercial volume is merely scraping the tip of the iceberg.

Just to answer the OP, I use Logic Pro 9 and have experimented with using the mastering presets just to see what they would sound like. To be honest, I have never selected one and been immensely satisfied with the result. The presets can kinda get you in the direction that you want to head, but you will still need to make significant adjustments to the individual elements in order to make the result fit around the sonics of your recording.

That being the case, you may as well start from scratch because it amounts to the same amount of twiddling anyway. I'd rather leave it all to the experts :)

Hey i usually like to mix it all first so it sounds good then select all the tracks on the mixer and bring them all down anywhere from -8 db to -10db then ill throw a slight eq taking out the mushy frequencys around 200hrz give or take 50-100hrz then use logics compressor and maybe a little bit of the limiter to get it up to a decent volume without peaking... Hope this helps

i would recommend NEVER using preset mastering chains. how can it possibly know what your mix sounds like?

i have brought them up in logic before (im a logic8 user) and they tend to make very obvious adjustments, such as an eq rise at 60Hz to bring out some kick drum, and add overall high, and use compressors and wideners. ive brought mixes through them to see how it sounds and its never better than when i do it myself.

i would recommend trialing some of the t-racks plugins, as they blow the logic compressors out of the water. really nice stuff. plus, the limiter is more transparent

sorry, the T-racks stuff is available to demo at this page: T-RackS 3 Singles

you do have to give your email adress, but thats a given. 30 day trial i think

(i realise my reply doesnt really have much to do with your question, my advice, stay away from preset chains)

Back