Mastering is no longer a Mystery

Having read the article, I think it achieves an excellent score .......... at least an A+ on the bullshit meter:D

I, apparently without sound reason, would expect anyone developing / writing about a plug-in for mastering to posess at least a basic understanding of the process of mastering? To much to ask perhaps.......

Last edited:
Fusion2 said:
... <snip> is it the future?

peace now...

Yes, the future of clueless wannabees wasting even more of their money on yet another mythical magic box that's gonna make up for their lack of skill or ears.

Scott Gould

You Won't Believe Your Ears!

. . .when they tell you that you wasted your $100, so you'll turn off your monitors, master visually like the nice man says, and remain happily oblivious to how badly you're raping your audio.

MP

i saw this on another forum about a month ago.. i downloaded the demo.. its nothing special to me...
i'd rather use my monitors and ears..

heh, i see tension from the knob techs :)...

it may take some time but the theory is there, i believe...

cmon now, peaceful please....

If ANYONE thinks they can replace good ears and audio skills with a plug-in, they really don't know that much about sound or the entire process of sound capture and reproduction.

There is NO possibility for a plug-in to hear interpretatively the way humans do, so until that occurs, ears and mastering skills are the only way to acheive high-quality results.

Scott's comment of "...yet another mythical magic box that's gonna make up for their lack of skill or ears...." is right on the money...!

Aww gee come on Bruce! I know a ton of folks who use Band-in-a-Box to create just as good music as anything in a pro studio, without all those egocentric producers and studio musicians.

Now they can forget about upgrading from their Creative Lab Speakers, or hiring an old buzzard like Sjoko2.

Now they can wake up in the morning, power up Band in a Box, write a top 10 hit, use the auto-master feature, and go have a Big Mac all in the same day. Isn't life wonderful?

I am going to invent a plug-in that changes the color of the graph but does nothing to the audio.

It will be called Munger1.1

I plan to make millions

This "theory" is total bullshit. I especially like the section where you have to guess which recording is better by looking at the spectrum analysis. This could be exactly the same master where the bass guitar was playing a bit louder in a different section. Is this an average for the entire song? If so, it means virtually nothing. To draw an analogy someone once told me, if you stick your head in the oven, and your feet in the freezer, the average temperature is comfortable.

Yet another snake oil salesman taking advantage of the inexperienced. Maybe there will be a way in the future that we can master by"giving eyes to the ears" . Maybe we won't even have to listen to the audio at all in order to create a great master! Hmmm, come to think of it, for some projects that might actually be nice.

:)

While I wholeheartedly agree that Hal-Bar is never going to replace a real mastering engineer, it may be of some use in certain situations. The program's author goes into some details (and addresses some of the hype) on George Massenburg's forum.

OK, so they guy exists, and he has made oher audio software. It's not a joke, it is merely pathetic.

Come on, the evaluation software it 8-bit! The guy is either an idiot, or simply out to sucker people. And if he is out to sucker people, why would he be bothered to answer people who are clearly not suckers?

OK, so he is an idiot.

Sorry, Paavo Jumppanen, buy you can't give out a demo version of a mastering software in 8-bit and expect people to take it seriously. That's just stupid. And so it calling the product "Horr-i-bel". And so is calling it a mastering software when what it really is is a type of innovative filter.

They developed a special Algo that models the following:

Room Demensions
Floor Plan
Room Treatment (who treated it)
Monitor Type
Monitor placement
Console Placement
Various signal chains ( You can choose your chain)
Several Pro ME's
The Pro ME's years of experience
The Pro ME's applicable mastering style ( based on genre)
The Pro ME's hearing range
etc etc

you just pick the model you want from each option based on the genre of music and Walla !!!!

For an additional fee, you can get the Mixing Engineer Plugin. LOL

This has to be a Joke !!!

Newbies, Please ignore my post !!! Im only playing !!

Malcolm

In what way is this silly Hairball plugin any different than that useless "Freefilter" piece of crap that everyone was talking about a few years ago?

Sounds like Freefilter might even go a step further, so the path towards bad mastering might have even gotten an extra step more difficult. In what way is this an innovation?

Back