Mastering in Cool Edit Pro? ROOK

martymodem

I'm producing a commercial in CEP and I'm having trouble getting a solid mix down. The template is not that complex but I would like some tips on how to clear it up. It sounds pretty clear right now however, the imported instruments (from my keyboard) have bring a subtle hiss. I've used the hiss reduction but It takes away some quality. Can someone give me a minimastering process where I can get a solid result? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Noise reduction seems to degrade the quality of anything it's applied to except stuff like old recordings whose hiss level is already so bad that *anything* sounds better. So I'd say it's your choice as to what you want - less hiss, or the sound quality as it stands.

Of course, if you don't believe me, you can always do a search on two guys on this board, mixmkr and drstawl - they'll steer you right first time.

If you're that way inclined. :)

in all seriousness.... ok now....

I think the noise and hiss reductions in cooledit is fantastic. I use it all the time, but sparingly. No...I don't slam it on the track, and expect miracles, but especially on synth patches, I have to admit, I much prefer the 'cleaner' sound that the reduction will make. If you hear the "swirlies"....you've of course gone too far. And...once the 'band' kicks in...you don't need it in a 'buried' track. But just a LITTLE (or run it thru twice, using very little) on certain tracks has worked incredible for me. I kinda am shocked how good I've gotten it to work sometimes. Furnace noise...naw... ambient mic noise...not really. ...a little hissy synth patch that is a synthesized source anyway...works like a charm.

how was that for a straight face!!!:eek:

On the Izotope site (www.izotope.com), in the section for Ozone 1.0, there is a pdf file - a "mastering guide" that is a source of a lot of good info. Yes, they're trying to sell their ozone plugin, but you can recreate much of what they do using the tools in cool edit pro (ex: the 5 band para equalizer, or using the compressor on just a particular freq. band).

-lee-

Cool edit settings

yea im lookin for some good cool edit mastering settings . ive done seen all the youtube ones dey sound ugly. can any one help me out or give some ideas;)

yea im lookin for some good cool edit mastering settings . ive done seen all the youtube ones dey sound ugly. can any one help me out or give some ideas;)

Point 1... this thread is nearly 8 years old.

Point 2... mixing or mastering? It seems people are increasingly but incorrectly using these terms interchangeably. Please could you confirm which one.

Point 2... you can't expect processing presets or setups that worked for other people to work for your tracks... every song is different and every raw recording is different... you have to do whatever processing you deem is necessary in order to achieve the end goal for your mix (if that makes sense - its quite difficult to explain really)... you need to know what you want to do to the sound, and then use the tools available to you to achieve that... using other people's ideas without understanding what they're doing isn't going to help you one bit!

Back