Mastering and Burning CDs

New Fool

Hi y'all,

I'm about to buy a digital multitrack but my ultimate aim is to master and burn my own CDs at home (to send out as demos) without (a) going to a mastering studio or (b) buying a mastering processor (like TC Finalizer).

I'll probably be recording in 24 bit on a Korg D-16 or AKAI DPS-16 and my questions are:

1. Do the various multitracks allow you to master and burn straight to a CD burner like the TASCAM CDR700 and produce CDs that can be listened to on other CD players (assuming you finalise the disc)?

2. Do the multitracks do the dithering from 24-bit to 16 bit or do they just truncate (if they just truncate I might as well record to 16 bit only, no?).

3. Are CDR/W burners like the Plextor or Roland for VS series essentially the same as those from TASCAM, Phillips or HHB that are rack units?

Thank you all! This messageboard is wonderful.

Regards,

The New Fool

I'm not sure if you are referring to a computer based cd burner or a stand alone burner. But I have a HP computer cdr/rw and I use Cool Edit Pro as my multitracker. I just record in 16-bit so that I dont have to dither or convert. But it is fine to convert to 16-bit (@44.1) I use Easy CD Creator software for the burning process, it converts 16-bit .wav's to cd audio files automaticaly. Its really quite easy to use.

Back