Mastered completely digital on Logic Pro stock effects...could this be radio ready?

It sounds pretty nasty... What that has to do with "analog studio master" I have no idea. Don't get me wrong, I'm an analog nut -- But you can screw stuff up with analog as easily as you can with digital. And trying to judge the master without hearing the mix it came from is basically impossible.

Otherwise -- It sounds squashed, pumpy, no focus, no real clarity, problematic high end, problematic low end, harsh midrange, the vocal sits disjointed from the mix --

I'd think that 90% of it all is source / mixing issues and really doesn't have much to do with mastering.

Weird image shifts here and there... The side information is really weird and distorted -- Sorry - Stream of thought.

IN ANY CASE -- It's really difficult to give any sort of useful advice on something that's been compromised this much by whatever data compression algorithms are being used (sounds like nasty MP3 compression, except I'm not hearing as many artifacts on the vocal - which could point towards MP3 compression on the source material and there's really no way to fix that).

What were we talking about again...?

Hahaha okay I'll take that as feedback.... but I'll take it as it's shitty. Gotcha.

or you could take it as

It sounds squashed, pumpy, no focus, no real clarity, problematic high end, problematic low end, harsh midrange, the vocal sits disjointed from the mix --

I'd think that 90% of it all is source / mixing issues and really doesn't have much to do with mastering. ......It's really difficult to give any sort of useful advice on something that's been compromised this much by whatever data compression algorithms are being used (sounds like nasty MP3 compression, except I'm not hearing as many artifacts on the vocal - which could point towards MP3 compression on the source material and there's really no way to fix that).

He clearly said that what he hears as problematic is PROBABLY FROM THE MIX. He gave you an in depth response based on years of experience. I'd think you might be a bit more appreciative and take what he says to heart. Just my $.02

+1 to Nate and John. Post the original mix that the artist gave to you. If it sounds anything like it does now.....I'm afraid there isn't much you can do. No one here is looking to take you down a peg man....unless Greg gets in on this :P So don't be quick to get defensive(not saying that you necessarily were)--but John knows his shit, he's mastered a ton of stuff for me and it always sounds amazing so listen to what he has to say and you may have a shot at saving this mix (or just send it to John ;) )

-Barrett

Didn't realize I came off as defensive... wasn't offended at all. Short response was because I was short on time and when I said shitty, I was talking about the original mix, not his response(if thats whats you guys got from that?) Anyways, yeah I got the feedback, thanks a lot and I def. didn't mean to come off like that.

And it's hard to not click on his massive, massive mastering link and see that it's not his first time around the block like it is for me, appreciate the feed.

Back