Master performance (tv) tracks or not?

donaman

Hi, I seem to have a bit of a problem. I'm making performance tracks for a groups live show. It's R&B so its basically the final mix of the songs with the leads taken out and the background vocals low in the mix. I'm wondering if these should be mastered the same way I did the final mixes (waves LinMB, LinEQ, L2 etc) or if they should be "mastered" at all? My intuition tells me that the live vocals would sit better over a mix that wasn't compressed since the live vocals would not be compressed. I have no experience making with this so any help would be appreciated. I'm actually kind of scared because the group is performing at SIR in new york for the heads of every major record label and I dont want crappy performance tracks messing them up. Would the live monitors respond better to more or less dynamics in the music? Also are there any tips you guys have for controlling the bass? Frequencies to notch etc.??? PLEASE HELP:confused: :confused:

When I do stuff like this, I usually provide a mastered version and an unmastered version. most of the time, they should tell you though.

The live vocals may be compressed, the whole show will probably be compressed for legal reasons (audio level).

pay attention to bass, very crucial. if i were you, id make a few mixes, and take them to a club or someone with a PA system and just run them through to check how it's handled the track.

Back