master link or stand alone cd burner

gemsbok

looking for a all around good quality cd recorder for live gigs and a home mix down unit. the sony consumer burner i have is great because it will dub a copy at 4xs speed but its annoying because if it doesnt hear any sound after 12 seconds it comes out of record mode. i just cant TAKE IT ANY MORE!. the bands i record usually want a copy at the end of the night so i need to know if can the alesis masterlink can record directly to cd or is it a 2 step process where you need to record to the hard drive first. im also looking at a tascam cdrw750 and a hhb- burn it.

Warhead said:
I would get the Alesis and record to the hard drive first, then burn a CD.

War

This 2-step process is pretty much the only route on the ML9600. But the ability to record up to 5 hours (or so) worth of audio can make up for this.

the other nice thing about the sony was the ability to make a copy in between the sets because of the 4x-s speed. this way the bands could get a copy at the end of the night which they always want. i get the other copy to mess around with. i havent had any bands do more than an hour set so although having 5 hours of record time is nice. the bands just always seem to want a rough mix so if there is any re-mixing it would be done by me just for fun. do you think the tascam has good converters or is there any other models that are considered a studio standard?

Bowisc said:
This 2-step process is pretty much the only route on the ML9600. But the ability to record up to 5 hours (or so) worth of audio can make up for this.

yup...the guy said live recording and it's a good fit!

War

standalone vs masterlink

hey gemsbok

just a thought - i have an HHB CDR830 and it's fantastic, (and i'm not being sarcastic here) until it isn't.

the problem is, with no pre-storage, if you get a problem with writing the TOC at the end, or any problem on finalising, then you are stuffed.

mine is fantastically handy in the studio (though i do also burn out of Roxio Jam) for quick and dirty mixes when i don't need red-book, but i have had a few instances recently where i've recorded 6 or seven tracks only for the disc to not finalise properly. you then have no option but to start again.

a more minor point is that some cd-r media is now rated at up to 52x write speed - according to HHBthemselves, discs rated over 48x will not handle the 1x write speed that the HHB obviously has to write at. this caused a problem recently when all the inkjet printable stock i had wouldn't run in the HHB asit was 52x and i had to buy a separate stock of printable verbatim 48x stock - which works fine now.

for anything critical, i have to admit that i now run my live mixes into both the HHB and a sony minidisc recorder as a belt-and-braces approach. i work on the principle that they can't POSSIBLY both go wrong! (aaaargh - why did i say that?). if the band then want a disc at the end of the night, i cn usually spend 40 mins while the rest of the gear is packed down / band are in the bar, bouncing from the minidisc to the HHB on a replacement disc.

i've always liked the concept of the masterdisc - good way of keeping four or five mixes of some tracks before committing. it was always a little out of my allocated budget for that sort of thing.

have fun

then the masterlink should work. i can burn the bands a copy in between sets and then i could keep whats on the drive. i also see that the masterlink does some other things too like normalize , limiting and compression. would any of these tools be worth using while recording or only when burning to disk?

burning time on hhb

there's no storage,so it's realtime for the audio going in.

once you've finished (and bear in mind you have no option to shuffle tracks around like you do on the masterlink) you have to do the finalise operation and write the TOC (table of contents) and that takes about 2 mins dependent on the amount of info you have on the disk.

it's all one button stuff on the hhb though. i like mine - it's not ideal and in preference i would probably get a masterlink, but in the UK, the masterlink used to be four or five times the price of the hhb, though i notice they just had a price crash - sommet new's coming out i sense!

have fun

hhb format

just an afterthought - i had a feeling that the HHB only burnt orange book, but apparently it is fully compliant with REDBOOK according to their website when i just checked.

i'm better off than i thought!

Back