master deck current technology

john C

I am a writer/musician with a Korg D16 digital deck. I record with a variety of analog and digital input sources.

My question concerns buying a master deck so I can organize and archive my songs. I am considering an Alesis hard disk deck for around $700 but I wish it had a sdif input for my Korgs sdif output. Would I be better off with a different master deck? or should I just use my Dell Computer and buy a interface for the Korg. Which option would provide better sound and bang for the buck? I am ignorant of computer recording so please keep any advice on the simple side. What are the basic components necessary to archive songs from the Korg to the Dell without any sound degradation.

Any advice concerning this subject would be very helpful.

Thanks

John C

The Alesis MasterLink does have a S/PDIF input.

However, I'd still just get a decent audio card (nothing fancy - Anything with a S/PDIF will do - M-Audio 2496, Echo MIA, etc.).

That and some inexpensive software (Sound Forge / CD Architect) will get you pretty much everything that's "hot" about the ML9600 plus a lot more.

THEN some day if you still feel lacking, grab a MasterLink.

Yeah, I actually see the computer route not only being cheaper, but MUCH more versatile!

With the Masterlink, you are stuck with the "tools" they offer, and really, I think it is lacking overall. Going the computer route, you can do so much more, and, you have your choice of plugin's to work on your mixes with. The Masterlink only has the tools it has. You cannot add to it.

Anything with a s/pdif in, and even CHEAP software like GoldWave and you are set! You could have more versatility than the Masterlink for around $130!

Get any of those cards and something like n-track and you'll be good to go. No sense getting tied into something you can't expand. :)

Back