Mas Silencio

ahuimanu

Hi,

I recently posted here concerning buzz/hum etc. in my MIM Tele (thanks for replies in that thread!). I like this instrument and it sounds good through my POD (I have nothing else at the moment... anyone recommend a decent small amp?) save for the God-awful and incessant buzz.hum. Now, the hum will get down to near nothing if I TOUCH and CONTINUE TO TOUCH the plate that holds the 3-way switch and pots.

Anyhow, it would seem that, other than shielding, replacing the stock pups might be another move I can make. I have done a lot of research in the last 48 hours and it seems that noiseless single-coils ARE made by:

-definately-
Fender noiseless
Kinman

-maybe?-
Lindy Fralin
Joe Barden
Bill Lawrence
Hot Rails?

Now, the Kinmans are TEMPTING but they are 2/3s the sticker price of my guitar!! The Fender noiseless are at about $100 which makes me feel better. I had as much a look as I could at Harmony-Central, but sometimes those reviews are sketchy and contradictory (as could be advice I get here - I know!).

Anyway, I am hoping that the gurus and gearheads here could make a recommendation for a badass and noiseless set of replacement pups for my 2002 MIM Telecaster. Lindy Fralin is actually located in my town (Richmond, VA), but I can't seem to get a straight answer from the website or from whomever picks up the phone whether or not their replacements are hum-cancelling "noiseless" pups (Lindy is on vacation apparently).

So, other than my awareness that I can get copper tape to insulate the innards of this guitar, what pickups would you suggest that would

1) eliminate hum
2) improve sound
3) leave the "look" intact (i.e. leave the metal covering on the neck pup).

I greatly appreciate any thoughts!

J-

I've heard the Fender Noiseless and they are complete crap IMO. I've also heard the Music Man "Silent Circuit"...... crap.
I've haven't heard Kinmans, but they seem to have a good rep. Those that play Bill Lawrence swear by them too.

As for my own ears, I've yeat to hear a silent single coil that was worth anything: the attack and clarity just disappear. What else is there when it comes to singles?

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I've heard the Fender Noiseless and they are complete crap IMO. I've also heard the Music Man "Silent Circuit"...... crap.
I've haven't heard Kinmans, but they seem to have a good rep. Those that play Bill Lawrence swear by them too.

As for my own ears, I've yet to hear a silent single coil that was worth anything: the attack and clarity just disappear. What else is there when it comes to singles?

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Thanks for the input Aaron!

I am just a "bedroom" home-recorder, so I suppose I am really interested in the hum elimination. I am also willing to go "big time" to get both hum-cancellation AND great tone. I know this is a tall order and represents a degree of compromise by the nature of trying to cancel that which wants to hum, but I gotta have it.

The hum/buzz is odd because placing my hand on the plate covering the pots will cut a lot of it out. I know this is a lot of fuss over a MIM Tele, but I like it and am willing to get it right.

I was leaning towards those Fender noiseless pups and am happy to get input.

I also came across a few models of Seymore Duncan that look promising.

Anyways, any further opinions on the matter are appreciated. Please help this home-recorder get the buzz out! :-)

J-

Back