Marshalls on sale at Mars really cheap.

windowman

Just wanted to mention that I was in Mars yesterday and noticed they have a sale going on right now for Marshall mics. I think it depends on what area you live in as to which model they have on sale but in St. Louis it's the XML V57 (just like the V67 but a different color I think and doesn't come with a shock mount.) They had a price of $79 bucks on it. The extra shock mount will run you another $50. That's still an incredible deal an a 1" daiphram condenser of this quality (I have one at home and the V57 and V67 really are as good as people say.) Just wanted to pass that on.

I picked up a V67 at Mars today for $99...I tried it and the V63 ($79)...the 67 was much more open. The V63 sounded pinched and murky. Comparing it to my 2001 just singing and listening in the cans was anticlimactic...I'll record a test later to hear the differences more clearly. More later.

The 603's, OTOH, are lovely little mics. Should hold me until I can afford a pair of used KM-84's. :D

TP

You got a V67 for that price?!!! I take it that's with the shckmount too (I don't think anyone sells the V67 without one.) Man that's incredible. Are you sure you don't mean the V57? They look the same except for the color. The V57 always sells for $99 without a shock mount, except like I said, the Mars near me has em for $79 at the moment. But if you got a V67 w/ shockmount for a hundred bucks you should be jumping up and down! :)

Humm, you know what? I can't find the V57 listed at either Marshall's website or Mars music either one. I guess they quit making that one. That's probably why Mars is selling them so cheap. Grab em while you can. For some reason they still list the mxl-57 shockmount though which was made to fit the V57...strange.

Anyway, I'll attach a photo of the V57 so you can take a gander at it, (hope this file upload thing works, and whoeversaid it looks like the MXL 1006 is correct. They both look a lot like the V67 too.)

Attachments

• mxl_v57.jpg
    mxl_v57.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 136
Not having a Mars anywhere near Chicago I took a copy of their web page of the V67m to Sam Ash. They matched the price on the V67G but no shockmount with the mic so I went to Guitar Center here and bought the shock mount that they sell for the Oktava MK319. It fits perfectly! That is a great mic, and kind of funky in the green and gold motif.

scodu

So you "can" buy the V67 without a shockmount. Well I learned something new. I don't know how much you paid for your shockmount but I would guess that the MXL57 shockmount would fit the V67. If they aren't making the V57 mic anymore then maybe Mars will clear out the MXL57 shockmount too. Could be a good investment for someone thinking of buying a Marshall V67 or 1006 someday.

I love that green/gold color too. In fact I just got a new Carvin Acoustic guitar amp that comes in a green covering too. I wouldn't have guessed it would look this good but it really is a pretty little amp.

Marshall uses the 57 as the shockmount for the V67. I got my V67 retail box with that shockmount.

Pisses me off that I paid $200 for it! :)

Slackmaster 2000

I got my V67 at Mars for $99. I brought a printout of the 57 shockmount for $29 at MusiciansFriend and Mars matched it. So, $129 plus tax for both.

The first time I used it was on acoustic guitar as a test http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=46321

I have to admit, I was not impressed. I think the ECM8000 outperformed it by a long shot.

Then I used it on vocals....I will post a link in the MP3 forum when I finish the song. I am impressed! Crystal clear. My singer never sounded better (on my equipment at least).

Of course, I've only used dynamics on vocals as I am new to the microphone craze, but I can't imagine a better bang for my 99 bucks! (Well, the ECM's on drum overheads and acoustic guitar at $35 apiece is pretty close).

Thanks to everyone (especially Harvey) on this forum for bringing these mics to my attention.
For $200 (2 ECM's and V67) I've really elevated the quality of my recordings.

Yeah, I had the same feelings about that V57 Chuck. Wonderful on vocals! It's fine for singing but I think where it would really shine is on a radio DJ for just plain talking. A lot of them use Neumans for that and I think this sounds pretty much the same. Real nice and breathy. If you work at it you can get a very decent sound on acoustic guitar but there are other mics (especially 1/2" condensers) that would be better for that.

Say, do those ECM's come with a shockmount at that price? Where'd you get them?

Hey, ChuckU...

Where did you find those ECM8000's for that price?

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any place that is selling them.

windowman said:
Yeah, I had the same feelings about that V57 Chuck. Wonderful on vocals! It's fine for singing but I think where it would really shine is on a radio DJ for just plain talking.

Funny, I was noticing the same thing about my v67. I like the way it sounds when I sing in to it, but I especially like just talking in to it. My first impression was "there are probably a lot of voice-over people who have no idea . . . ." The reason is because of it's proximity effect. It's got lots of it -- reminds me a lot of my Shure SM7 in that respect (another staple in the voiceover and broadcasting industries). I might actually be willing to go out on a limb and say that my sm7 has an edge on vocals, while the v67 might just have the edge for voice overs!

That's funny about proximity effect, because I thought I was getting a lot less from the V67 that what I'm used to with a dynamic (Peavey HD-40) on vocs. I never used my 57 on vocals though.

I got my ECM8000's mail order from www.8thstreet.com

They came in 2 days. $35 apiece.

They are actually measurement mics (long & thin) and come with clips.

Two years ago I didn't know what phantom power was. Now I'm really appreciating the difference between condenser and dynamic mics. When my ears develop, I may want a more expensive vocal mic. But with the V67, what I got the other night is so much better than what I'm used to, it may be a long time before I can justify that expense.

Also, the song I'm working on is probably going to have talking on it (not rap), so we'll see.

I'm not sure I would attribute it all to proximity, Marshall 1" condensers all seem to be a little bass heavy no matter how far away you are. That can actually sound real nice on female background vocals since they usually need a bit more bass anyway. Better too much bass than too little. It's easy enough to dial it out. To bad it doesn't come with a bass roll-off switch though. But concidering the price I'd feel like a jerk complaining about it. Lets just say I'm happy and leave it at that. :p

They are not long and thin because they are measurement mics, they are long and thin because they are omnidirectional. Many omni's will have a very similar housing.

They are marketed as measurement microphones though. They're cool....you might as well own them since they're $35...the housing alone is solid enough to be worth $35. I'm waiting for some mod's to start popping up for these things.

Everybody here should also own the V67 at $99. I've been very happy with it. It won't blow your mind but dang it's a pretty musical sounding microphone.

I've also been seeing a lot of posts for the 603s at $50 and everybody should have a couple of these suckers too. They're kind of dark & mysterious which works well on some stuff...smooth on cymbals.

Meshuggah has been going on and on about some cheap ass swedish mics that might hit the US market some day...I think they can be gotten in canada right now, but not in the states. And of course there's always studio projects and the infamous C1. It's a good time for an amature to get into some cheap mics!

*WARNING* I am an amature with little recording experience. However, all of the mics mentioned above will produce adequate results...and when you're just starting out and don't know WHAT you want, it helps to take a little quantity over quality, especially when it's so damn cheap.

Slackmaster 2000

Actually, measurement mics are made long and thin for a reason; so that the body of the mic doesn't unduly influence the mic's response. A larger body can create an acoustic "shadow" which will alter the mic's off-axis response.

Interesting. Many of the omni's I've seen, like those from Earthworks, have very similar body designs. I assumed that it was such that the body of the mic doesn't interfere with the pattern, as you said.

I guess I assumed, incorrectly, that measurement microphones were omnidirectional (because that simply makes more sense), and that omnidirectional microphones typically had long thin bodies, or no bodies at all....hence measurement microphones being long & thin.

Thanks!

Slackmaster 2000

Back