Marshall SL-5C

Telegram Sam

New 5w amp, Slash (appetite for coinage) version, two channel EL 34, 12" Celestion V30, digital reverb.
Not out yet, due in June.
I have the Class 5 and miss that it has no gain stage, but I do have beaucoup stomp boxes I can put in front.
Thinking about getting just the head if one comes out to run with my Greenback...

$699 for the combo.

Thoughts?
Combo for the sake of a new speaker for the collection?
Head only?
Stupid to spend $700 for a 5 watt amp?

Also is it prerequisite that all amps sound like crap at 1w?

I might buy it if it came in a head instead of a combo (I already have 2-1x12's....) & wasn't as expensive....But yeah, that's a tad too much IMO for a 5w, just like Greg said, you could buy the DSL15H for $500 new....I'm still waiting to see what Marshall comes out with this year, I've heard talk of some new amps, but we'll have to wait & see....

The demo vids I've hear of the Slosh amp do sound good, but not worth $700 to me.....

Marshall has lost their mind. They goofy things they've been releasing lately and the absurd prices they ask for them is pretty upsetting.

You have to look at who they are marketing to and it all begins to make sense.
Not everyone's wife will let them have a Marshall Stack,
so sell 10,000 stacks, or 2 million bedroom amps?

You have to look at who they are marketing to and it all begins to make sense.
Not everyone's wife will let them have a Marshall Stack,
so sell 10,000 stacks, or 2 million bedroom amps?

So it's a size thing? It must be because a 5w amp is still really fucking loud.

Size and wattage, most these little amps will choke down to 1 watt.

I think I want a real Marshall without the bulk of a JVM 4x12 for my "out about town" amp.
I'm looking at that 40 watt/1x12, I've already got a 15 w Vox.
It looks like it has some proper gain staging.
So, do you think it has the goods?
The DSL40C is $699 and will likely fit in my tiny room.
Big enough for proper stage level gigging mic'd through the PA, ya?

Size and wattage, most these little amps will choke down to 1 watt.
That's a neat trick, but the bigger amps have a volume knob. No amp will sound it's best at mini-volumes, so the built in attenuation isn't that big a deal really, and going from 5 to 1 watt is kind of silly. If the SL-5 was you know, say $500, I'd be all cool beans. But $700? It's just crazy to me.

I think I want a real Marshall without the bulk of a JVM 4x12 for my "out about town" amp.
I'm looking at that 40 watt/1x12, I've already got a 15 w Vox.
It looks like it has some proper gain staging.
So, do you think it has the goods?
The DSL40C is $699 and will likely fit in my tiny room.
Big enough for proper stage level gigging mic'd through the PA, ya?
I would say so. The DSL40 is powerful enough to hold it's own against drums and bass. It has the goods. It's a proper amp and it has considerably more gain and cleaner cleans than your Class 5. I'm a big fan of the DSL line. Too bad they don't offer the 40w version as a head.

Have you ever used a hot plate (attenuator)?
Not me personally, but I've been around them. Meh. They work well, but they all color the sound to varying degrees. It just depends on how you use one. Squashing a wide open 100w amp down to bedroom volumes never works out well. Shaving a few db to "fit" the room is what attenuators were originally designed to do.

I agree, maybe I need to consider a 100w head / 2x12 option, it would be right in the middle and do everything I might need.
What do you actually need/want your amp to do? No one actually needs a 100w head, they just sound awesome. :D

Really though, if you're just jamming, recording, and doing small gigs, I really think the DSL15 is a good choice if you want a Marshall. And used 50w DSL's can be had for $500.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here on HR, so first of all just want to say hey. As for the DSL40C I just bought one a couple of months ago and I have to say it's the best amp I have ever had. I once had a 2210 JCM 800 and have always regretted getting rid of it. But I have since re-bought one. The DSL40C has so much versitility. I can get that awesome JCM 800 sound as well as the more recent models. It is exactly the same as the DSL100 head but in 40w and you can hook it up to a cab if you wanted to. It totally hangs with live drums and bass. You can choose to use it at full 40w pwr or go down to 20w. Definitely worth scoping out. I got it new for $699.

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here on HR, so first of all just want to say hey. As for the DSL40C I just bought one a couple of months ago and I have to say it's the best amp I have ever had. I once had a 2210 JCM 800 and have always regretted getting rid of it. But I have since re-bought one. The DSL40C has so much versitility. I can get that awesome JCM 800 sound as well as the more recent models. It is exactly the same as the DSL100 head but in 40w and you can hook it up to a cab if you wanted to. It totally hangs with live drums and bass. You can choose to use it at full 40w pwr or go down to 20w. Definitely worth scoping out. I got it new for $699.

I think I'm going to get one.

Man, I have a 100w Marshall & a 5 watt Kustom Defender.
They are both loud.
The price for the Slush model is silly - paying for the names Marshall & Slush but not for a lot else.
Marshalls work by being cranked & pushing the air around in a space.
The Kustom works by being small & easily overdriven then pushing air around in a space.
The one costs, justifiably, a grand while the other, justifiably, $100.
Neither is trying to be a miniturized version of the other.
I have an attenuator & it's OK & makes sense with 100watts but not 5!
The 5 watter is VERY loud in a recording space, however.
Want the Slush Marshall sound without peeling paint & destroying the little hairy things in your inner ear?
Get amp sims.
It isn't the same but then neither is a Slush attenuated down to 1 watt.

Not me personally, but I've been around them. Meh. They work well, but they all color the sound to varying degrees. It just depends on how you use one. Squashing a wide open 100w amp down to bedroom volumes never works out well. Shaving a few db to "fit" the room is what attenuators were originally designed to do.

What do you actually need/want your amp to do? No one actually needs a 100w head, they just sound awesome. :D

Really though, if you're just jamming, recording, and doing small gigs, I really think the DSL15 is a good choice if you want a Marshall. And used 50w DSL's can be had for $500.

I tried out the DSL15H (as I've posted about elsewhere before) and I found it to have quite a cloudy, undefined sound. I don't know how it compares to the higher wattage current DSLs, but next to the JCM1 anniversary special head (the 1 Watt JCM800), there was no contest - the JCM1 has the sound. Clear, defined, great overdrive. I don't really know how to describe it, but it was head and shoulders above the DSL15H (in sound and in price!).

I tried out the DSL15H (as I've posted about elsewhere before) and I found it to have quite a cloudy, undefined sound. I don't know how it compares to the higher wattage current DSLs, but next to the JCM1 anniversary special head (the 1 Watt JCM800), there was no contest - the JCM1 has the sound. Clear, defined, great overdrive. I don't really know how to describe it, but it was head and shoulders above the DSL15H (in sound and in price!).

I hate the one watt Marshall gimmicks, but the JCM1 is indeed a cool little amp. Definitely the best of the retarded overpriced one watt limited editions. I don't find the DSL15 to be lacking though. It's just different. A more modern sound. And here in the United States of gun violence, the DSL15 is half the price of the JCM1....if you can even still find a JCM1.

I hate the one watt Marshall gimmicks, but the JCM1 is indeed a cool little amp. Definitely the best of the retarded overpriced one watt limited editions. I don't find the DSL15 to be lacking though. It's just different. A more modern sound. And here in the United States of gun violence, the DSL15 is half the price of the JCM1....if you can even still find a JCM1.

I wasn't really recommending the JCM1 (~£550 for a 1W amp seems rather steep!) - I just found the DSL15 head really lacking in the sound department compared to it. To each their own, YMMV, etc., but I really did find that it sounded cheap to my ears. I haven't heard the higher watt versions, so can't comment on those.

I think you get the Vietnam built Marshalls cheaper than us, while the JCM1 is British made, so that probably explains the bigger price difference. There's only around £100 in it between those two amps over here. If I had to choose between those two amps (and those two only), I'd go for the JCM1 (as long as I had a decent clean sound elsewhere - no headroom to speak of on those little amps) - I think the better sound is well worth that extra £100. If it were double the price for the JCM1, maybe I'd choose different.

In actual fact, I'd probably find the extra £200 over the JCM1 price and find a second hand 50 or 100W JVM.

I wasn't really recommending the JCM1 (~£550 for a 1W amp seems rather steep!) - I just found the DSL15 head really lacking in the sound department compared to it. To each their own, YMMV, etc., but I really did find that it sounded cheap to my ears. I haven't heard the higher watt versions, so can't comment on those.

I think you get the Vietnam built Marshalls cheaper than us, while the JCM1 is British made, so that probably explains the bigger price difference. There's only around £100 in it between those two amps over here. If I had to choose between those two amps (and those two only), I'd go for the JCM1 (as long as I had a decent clean sound elsewhere - no headroom to speak of on those little amps) - I think the better sound is well worth that extra £100. If it were double the price for the JCM1, maybe I'd choose different.

In actual fact, I'd probably find the extra £200 over the JCM1 price and find a second hand 50 or 100W JVM.

Hell, over here, you can get a used but real-deal 50/100w JCM800 for just a little more than the tiny one watt version. That's what I'd do over any of the little fart amps. I do really like the DSL100H though. Of the oriental Marshalls, it's my favorite. And the JVM trumps them all. :D

I finally played one of the SL-5s yesterday. It's heavy and humongous for a 5w combo. It's nice, it sounded pretty good, but even cranked really loud it still sounded small and kind of boxy and a little stiff to me. I suspect it's EL34 power tube maybe isn't working hard enough? Maybe the single Vintage 30 is barely flexing? Maybe through a 4x12 it would sound better? I dunno. It's a nice combo I suppose. It's not $700 awesome though. Not even close. I found the DSL15C sitting right next to it to sound way better, it's more versatile, and it costs 100 bucks less. Fuck you all the way to the bank, Slash. :laughings:

Back