Marshall MXL 2001

vacant

Is this a good mic, i think ive heard good things about it and i really need a condensor mic. Its also a plus thats its relatively cheap. Can anyone give me any advice? Is it good as an overhead mic, and vocals?

The consensus is that it sucks on everything except mods. Do a search if you want the particulars.

The 2001 is not a very good mic, based on what I've read. I think you could do better for a similar price. The MXL V67g is about that price, and many here adore it for vocals. Also, check out the Studio Projects B1, which I've read is good on instruments and as overheads. Heck, get one of each if you can swing it.

vacant said:
do you think i could use the v67 as an overhead as well or is it strictly for vocal use?

The V67 is suited to offer a warm vocal tone. It does not sound very good as a stand-alone acoustic guitar mic. I've not used it for overheads; I would think it might be a little too muddy for that.

You might consider the MXL603 ($99) with a pop filter. It has a more neutral response than the V67 and will be able to handle more micing duties for that reason.

The only thing I think the mxl 603s works great on is acoustic guitar... I say go with the v67g and make your vocals right. It will be good enough for everything else til you get the money for the other budget mics that everyone recommends.

RichterIce said:
I recently bought an AT4040, and I love it. You can pick one up for about $300 or so.
That would be great if i could get one, but i cant really afford it right now. Im thinking of getting a couple v67s, thats a little more fitting for my budget. Thanks alot for the replies tho guys

Back