Marshall MG halfstack - not great, but not the worst amp ever

owwmyfoot

slave to the grind
I try to use whatever the club I'm gigging at has to avoid carting my expensive stuff around, which is a pain in the ass in new york city. I don't keep a car in the city. The club I played at the other day had a Marshall mg half stack as part of their backline. I'm not sure if the cab was mg too, I assume it was. To be honest, it wasn't that bad. Granted the other guitarist was using a tube marshall, and his amp sounded a lot better. It really wasn't that bad...I was surprised. I was able to dial in a good heavy rock distortion tone. I am a tube guy to the core but hey, for the price and solid state reliability I think every club should have one of these.

It's one of the better solid state heavy distortion amps I've heard lately. Still no match for a nice tube amp with cascading gain stages, but if you prize reliability and zero maintenance... maybe this would be your amp until you can afford the real thing. I'm usually one of the solid state bashers too.

I think that these are some of the better beginner's solid state amps.

I'm not really that into the "Marshall sound" but I'll admit that for the price I think the larger MG's are a way better buy than the AVT's, which cost basically as much as a tube head, yet really only differ from the MG's by the inclusion of a single 12AX7, which isn't enough gain stages to provide a pure tube distortion, so you know it's mostly solid state anyway.

When I was younger I owned a TSL100 for a while. A guy I knew sent me a few clips he'd recorded with his MG100 stack, and to be perfectly honest, they didn't sound THAT different from what I was able to record.

I'm not really that into the "Marshall sound" but I'll admit that for the price I think the larger MG's are a way better buy than the AVT's, which cost basically as much as a tube head, yet really only differ from the MG's by the inclusion of a single 12AX7, which isn't enough gain stages to provide a pure tube distortion, so you know it's mostly solid state anyway.

I really like those AVTs. Will post a clip later.

Further to the "cheap Marshall" dissin', the guitars in this were recorded with a Yamaha Pacifica, a Marshall AVT50 combo, Boss SD1 and CS3 in front, cheap sennheiser dynamic off axis in an untreated room. Didn't really mix anything as I'll probably use it as the basis of a full song. Usable results IMO.

www.soundclick.com/glasshouserecordings

"Blues Jam"

If you pay for an AVT what you'd pay for a tube head, then you're getting ripped off. I have an AVT head and it was about half the price of a Marshall tube head. I also think the distorted tone on the AVT heads sucks. The combos seem to be a bit better sounding. An MG sounds way better to my ears.

I don't know what happened to the valvestates. I have an old 8080 from like 1995, and that sounds great. I use it on all my recordings still. Why the hell they needed to change anything I don't know.

If you pay for an AVT what you'd pay for a tube head, then you're getting ripped off. I have an AVT head and it was about half the price of a Marshall tube head. I also think the distorted tone on the AVT heads sucks. The combos seem to be a bit better sounding. An MG sounds way better to my ears.

I don't know what happened to the valvestates. I have an old 8080 from like 1995, and that sounds great. I use it on all my recordings still. Why the hell they needed to change anything I don't know.

Are those the ones with the very burnished gold finish to the metal?

Back