Marshall Electronics MXL2003

ianda

I'm looking at the Marshall Electronics MXL2003 Studio Condenser Mics ($149.95 at zZounds.com) as a general mic for recording high school choirs/bands/orchestras in the respective group's practice room. The acoustics of the room(s) could be pretty nasty.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these mics and, based on what you read above, can recommend how many to get and potential placement within general practice rooms. Also, do these provide a fairly warm sound, or bright sound? Thanks in advance.

-ianda

In my opinion, it is the best bang-for-buck large diaphragm condenser on the market, alongside the AT 3035. And I've worked with a lot of 'em.

Anyway, it has a fairly flat response that tends to be on the bright side, but in a very sweet and crisp way.

For your applications, though, I'm not sure if this would be the way to go. When recording several people at once, it's best to use something with an omni-directional pattern. Either that or use two mics with a wide cardiod pattern.

I'm not sure how much you know about patterns, so forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. But a cardiod pattern will pick up mostly whatever is directly in front of it (like a solo vocalist or instrument), while an omni pattern will pick up sound from all around (larger group). Very generally speaking, that is.

The drawback (with omnis) is that you will also pick up a lot room noise and accoustic embience, which can usually be bad in less-than-ideal accoustic spaces.

A good happy medium, in my opinion, would be two small diaphragm condensers, both with a wide cardiod pattern. Record in stereo using either an XY technique (find a sweet spot somewhere in the middle of the group), or space them out overhead or out front, so as to get a wider image.

The mics I would recommend for the task: Oktava mc012

Good luck,

Chess

I got my V67 from Abe music (that Ebay link)....got the free cord also (pretty crappy, but a decent spare)....delivery was very swift and their customer service department actually sounded like they new what they were talking about....

end of spam.....

Back