Mapex *to Suck Or Not Suck Is The Question*

mapexdrums

I bought a Mapex Pro M series and I haven't been drumming to long about a year. I just wanted to know other peoples opinions about these. My dad I are building a studio in the basement and I was wandering if these are studio quality drums. How do they compare to other drums like Pearl or Tama?

I have 2 Mapex kits.
1 is the smaller Voyager and the other is the fusion Pro M kit. When tuned properly they both record excellently. (Particularly the smaller voyager kit)

Tom

I have a Mapex V-Series. Like everyone said, when tuned properly, these kits can sound great. They seem to show on many of my recordings!

I have the Mapex Pro M rock fusion kit (22" kick and standard fusion toms) and correctly tuned with the right heads (i use evans hydro batters and very thin resonants) and with microphones set up right you can get pretty much the sound you desire.

The Pro M is probably the best kit to bridge the Beginner/Pro gap with its hybrid shells, tom mounting system and a choice of very cool finishes (I have the ice blue :cool: )

About the only thing that I've done to this kit is cut a 4" hole in the bass drum to make it easier to mic up

I have the saturn pro series. I use evans g1 on the snare and aquarian II tom heads... I get the depth and warmth of the sound I want live and in the studio.

To tune correctly I use a head gauge not a rod-tension type one. It measures the pressure of the head, for far better accuracy. Mine cost about 40 saves so much time on tuning, its rediculous.

I also have the janus hi-hat/double bass pedal combo (made by mapex)... its difficult to get it the way you want it to feel, but if your a mapex freak like me, you will be patient enough with it. With alittle inginuity, it works great.

Boon said:
I have the Mapex Pro M rock fusion kit (22" kick and standard fusion toms) and correctly tuned with the right heads (i use evans hydro batters and very thin resonants) and with microphones set up right you can get pretty much the sound you desire.

The Pro M is probably the best kit to bridge the Beginner/Pro gap with its hybrid shells, tom mounting system and a choice of very cool finishes (I have the ice blue :cool: )

About the only thing that I've done to this kit is cut a 4" hole in the bass drum to make it easier to mic up

I hope you mean the resonant head.

Back