Mapex Mars Pro...any good?

Salabim

Hi!

I've been looking at a few kits in the middle price range. The Mapex Mars Pro is one i was looking at. I was just wondering if anyone here has/had one and if they think they are a worthwhile buy or not?

Cheers
Tim

The Mars pro (or Pro M) is a good mid range kit which holds its own against other mid range kits like the Export Select and the Stage Custom,

If memory serves the Mars Pro is Basswood/Maple/Basswood - so the drums cut and still maintain some of the warmth of Maple.

One of the many kits I own is a Mars Pro limited edition - which is an all Maple kit (in essence Orion shells) with the Pro M hardware. It is a great sounding kit and the hardware holds up fine in a gigging environment.

Mapex

I have 2 Mapex kits and love them both.I have a small voyager kit in the studio (8-10-12 toms 12"wood snare 18" kik) and it really records well. I also have a Pro M shallow kit (10-12-14 hang toms 13" wood snare 20" kik) for my gig set and it also really rocks!
They tune well.
I have just gotten rid of my Premier kit (falling apart) after 10 years . These are built with better hardware (even the voyager kit!)
tmix

As I indicated in a previous post I have a Mapex Pro M - I also have a Voyager (for small lounge gigs) and I agree with tmix, the Voyager is a very cool little kit - I'll put it up against any of the Hip Gig kits - and it sounds as good or better (at 1/3 or the price).

The Saturn Pro - is the 2nd from the top of the line (the Orion is the top of the line) and they are very well made and very decent sounding drums.

People may not be as hip to Mapex as some other brands - but they are very well made and affordable drums.

I have a Saturn Pro snare and I really don't like it much. It's got a good crack to it that works for rock and some funk but no matter how i tune it I really don't like it for jazz or funk. It has to be hit hard to sound good.

Back