Manual & Help needed for Tascam 388 studio 8

rjung1

Just got one, but the transport controls do not work and I only have some photocopied fragments of the manual.......need ideas, suggestions and advice!! (even if its just use it for its mixer.......)

Thanks in advance!

It depends a little on the exact symptoms,...

Here are some basics:
1) You have to make absolutely sure the tape is threaded properly.
2) When you lift the RH Tension Roller/Arm assembly, the Capstan should spin.
3) You may want to open the top cover and check all the fuses.
4) After checking the fuses, you may want to check that the circuit cards are properly plugged into the motherboard. Remove and reseat them, if necessary.

These 4 tips usually cure most of the problems you're likely to get, right out of the box. Try them, and report back. Maybe some more detail of the problem would help in troubleshooting. Once you get the 388 fully functional, it's a great unit, second to none in self-contained 8-trackers. Good luck! /DA

Im going to have to disagree with one thing you said there Reel.

If the card is not up and off of the pins dont take it out just for the fun of it.
I would make sure it is seated properly but the last 388 I got, When i pulled the cards the plastic on the female socket,s will break on the power supply cards, If I remember right there are 4 or 5 of them. maybe wiggle them a little and make sure they are down. But I wouldnt go any futher then that.
I had quite a few of them break when I took mine out and I was as careful as i could be. I wished I had left them in cause i did more damage than good when I pulled them out.

Back