Managing Projects: One Song Per?

spankenstein

So I've done both ways: One song per project or one big ole project.

I like the one big project because I generally do quick demo type stuff and the bands want a uniform sound throughout so I get the basic setup during mixdown and just do the small tweaks from there. Problem I run into is the projects get huge and slow to load and I can't make bundle files (gives an out of space error even though there is plenty of space).

The song per project is obviously going to load faster and I can easily back up with bundle files but it's a pain to mix one song, save all the effects presets, write down the levels, open the next one, insert everythign, set the levels, etc....

What do you all do or am I missing something that makes the song per project work better like "take all of these settings and put them on this one" Not in the sense of a template, after that point.

ya that can be a pain if you know what setup you want but you have to start fresh. One thing you could try is to make a preset or template file, and load that each time you start a new project. I have one set up where it has the verb i usually use on my vocal tracks, the verb and delay on the appropriate guitar tracks, and all of the tracks are routed to the proper buses. It saves a bit of time anywyas. Oh yeah i also have a clicktrack set up so it isready to go each time.

This is more a mix down issue. I don't always know what I'm going to have until I really start hammering on the mix. What would be awesome is a feature that would "take these settings (all of them) and put them here".

spankenstein said:
This is more a mix down issue. I don't always know what I'm going to have until I really start hammering on the mix. What would be awesome is a feature that would "take these settings (all of them) and put them here".
Ah yes... :D
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=119569&highlight=templates

Strryder had a idea of stacking the songs vertically as new sets of tracks under the same time line -but you still end up with very large projects, and 'track count'/cpu use would also go up.
The other tack is to export some of the later songs' tracks to a new folder, do a 'save as' of the 'master' project and like a template, delete the audio, then import a song's tracks into this clean 'mix template'.
I like your idea too, or maybe being able to say 'split here into a new project'.
Wayne

Back