Ma'me, I think this is the right house...

M1Fanatic

Digital whaaa?
Hi guys. I'm Michael, thought I'd stop in and introduce meself. I guess this is where all the tape heads hang out. Glad to be among all of you.

I haven't done any recording in several years now, but I'm pulling the machines out again and I'm going to start again. I haven't bought anything new lately, save for a Turner Model 1 guitar that I'd really like to hear on tape soon. Incredible guitar.

Busted my 441 mic holder and the new one will arrive tomorrow if the BBT doesn't get stuck in the snow, so I hope to maybe get something laid down in the next few days.

Hi Ghost, I'm working with a TASCAM 38 in pretty nice condition and a 52 for mix-down.

I'm giving thought to chucking the 52 and going for a TASCAM CD recorder for mix-down.

One tape machine at a time is about all I can handle. I figure it's going to end up on a CD or in a computer anyway and may as well cut out the middleman.

EDIT: Forgot the mixer. It's a TASCAM M1516. OK for back in the day, but I'm sure the pre's are a lot better now. It's all I've ever used though.

Hi Ghost, I'm working with a TASCAM 38 in pretty nice condition and a 52 for mix-down.

I'm giving thought to chucking the 52 and going for a TASCAM CD recorder for mix-down.

One tape machine at a time is about all I can handle. I figure it's going to end up on a CD or in a computer anyway and may as well cut out the middleman.

EDIT: Forgot the mixer. It's a TASCAM M1516. OK for back in the day, but I'm sure the pre's are a lot better now. It's all I've ever used though.

Well, um, I'll take the 52 off your hands.:D Welcome to the board. Nice equipment you got there. I've got a 38 myself, and the bigger brother to yours, the M2516. I love the board, but I've had a channel drop out on me recently so I have to pull it apart to see what gives.

I'm not sure how much difference it makes if the mixdown is done to a computer or a 2 tracker then to computer. I can't imagine that there would be a huge difference, seeing as how the master is on tape. Just my assumptions though.

I never had an open reel deuce either and went straight to a CD recorder for mastering and liked that arrangement...though I'm sure having one can't really hurt much! ;)

Sounds like a decent set up you've got there! :)

Cheers! :)

Hi! How are you doing?

My channel 8 OL light is lit continuously whether or not there is any signal running though it. It's on any time the power is on. I haven't taken it apart to see what's the problem, but it doesn't seem to affect anything running through the channel to the machine.

One day it just came on and never turned off. I was not even running anything through it when it happened.

I usually just use the machine's meters to set up anyway so it's not an urgent problem, but something is definitely amiss in there somewhere.

Hi! How are you doing?

My channel 8 OL light is lit continuously whether or not there is any signal running though it. It's on any time the power is on. I haven't taken it apart to see what's the problem, but it doesn't seem to affect anything running through the channel to the machine.

One day it just came on and never turned off. I was not even running anything through it when it happened.

I usually just use the machine's meters to set up anyway so it's not an urgent problem, but something is definitely amiss in there somewhere.

Could be a faulty switching transistor for the LED? Hard to really say without bench testing it though. But, so long as it's not a signal short, which would pin the meter too, I suppose its not critical.

I never had an open reel deuce either and went straight to a CD recorder for mastering and liked that arrangement...though I'm sure having one can't really hurt much! ;)

Sounds like a decent set up you've got there! :)

Thanks. I like it, but the 52's a beast. I like the machine; it's really nice and it's setup well, but since I can't don't have much of a chance of having anything published or released I don't see the logic of passing tape to tape and then to CD instead of just direct from 8-track to CD.

It's a most impressive machine, don't get me wrong, but for mix-down, I don't know anymore.

Could be a faulty switching transistor for the LED? Hard to really say without bench testing it though. But, so long as it's not a signal short, which would pin the meter too, I suppose its not critical.

Yeah, probably, it's not in the signal path so I don't worry too much about it.

Thanks. I like it, but the 52's a beast. I like the machine; it's really nice and it's setup well, but since I can't don't have much of a chance of having anything published or released I don't see the logic of passing tape to tape and then to CD instead of just direct from 8-track to CD.

It's a most impressive machine, don't get me wrong, but for mix-down, I don't know anymore.

Would you consider selling it? I live in the midwest and I was just about to start looking for a mixdown deck. I have an alesis Masterlink if you'd want to trade plus I'll give you some cash as well. Believe it or not most of the guys I record end up pressing to vinyl and I'd rather send tapes over CDs, so I'm in quite the opposite boat.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!
-Barrett

I would seriously consider a trade for the Masterlink . Let me get back to this thread after some sack time. I'm dozing off now.

Do you ever do any live recording? Or perhaps do you ever foresee the opportunity to have a full band playing at the same time at your studio, which would warrant the use of recording the live mix solely straight to the 52?

Barrett, you have incoming PM about the trade.

Muckelroy, I don't have the room to get that many people in the studio room and I'm sure not lugging this beast anywhere except to the front porch for UPS pickup.

I thought my 38 was heavy. I about had a hernia getting the 52 to the room. :eek:

Barrett, my PM to you has disappeared. I was going to send another to you about wrapping it to a small pallet to make sure the gorillas at UPS didn't tip over the box or otherwise throw it about.

When I checked in my PM area, there was no outgoing message to you. I don't see a tech forum here for board problems either.

If you are interested in the trade for your Masterlink, I'd take that and a couple hundred in cash plus the shipping up to Chicagoland. I'm down near St. Louis so it might not cost you your firstborn to get it to you.

Let me know if you want it on a small pallet, or if you want it at all.

Hahah alright thanks a lot for everything and no worries about the tech problems. I'll have to figure out what it's going to cost with the shipping of the 52 and then what the cost will be to get the masterlink to you. I'm planning on moving out soon so if its gonna run on the expensive side I might have to wait until I'm a little more financially sound. However I am still interested if you would want to make the transaction in the future. If not I understand and appreciate everything.

Thanks,
-Barrett

Hahah alright thanks a lot for everything and no worries about the tech problems. I'll have to figure out what it's going to cost with the shipping of the 52 and then what the cost will be to get the masterlink to you. I'm planning on moving out soon so if its gonna run on the expensive side I might have to wait until I'm a little more financially sound. However I am still interested if you would want to make the transaction in the future. If not I understand and appreciate everything.

Thanks,
-Barrett

My zip code is 62257 if you want to calculate shipping for the beast. I'll pick up the shipping on the Masterlink when you decide.

Figure about 80 Lbs double boxed and wrapped, or about 90 Lbs if on a 2'x2' pallet.

Back