Making the switch to FireWire (help).

bojax34

So I have decided to switch from USB to a FireWire based recording system, and I have a few questions. (I currently have a PC w/o a FireWire slot.)

1) I need to install a FireWire PCI card. I have an available PCI slot and an available PCIe slot, should I use one over the other?

2) I have a large internal hard drive that I use for recording. Will it do the job or do I need an external FireWire HD?

3) Anything else I should know?

:confused:

any Firewire card should be OK and Finding a Regular PCI card will be easier and Cheaper (I found one on e-bay for $2) than a PCI-E card....

It would Probably be best to Install a second Internal Hard Drive to use Just for audio storage... Internal drives are MUCH faster than external Drives and cheaper so it would be the best bet unless you need the Portability of a Firewire Drive....

Cheers

#1, check with the firewire soundcard manufacturer as to what chips the firewire card requires.

When I decided to buy a Motu828mkII, I learned that they require a TexasInstuments or Lucent firewire chipset to work properly. Made sure my new laptop had a TI chipset and have had NO problems. >>>Always check before you buy<<<

An external firewire drive will work, but if you are on a desktop just put in another internal drive. Unless you want to move projects between machines, then it's incredibly handy. I personally use a Glyph GT050 firewire drive and its great and DEAD SILENT.

Rule of Recording: You should ALWAYS have at least 2 drives. One for the OS and apps and the other to stream data to (so that it won't be interrupted during the recording process.)

TimOBrien said:
#1, check with the firewire soundcard manufacturer as to what chips the firewire card requires.

When I decided to buy a Motu828mkII, I learned that they require a TexasInstuments or Lucent firewire chipset to work properly. Made sure my new laptop had a TI chipset and have had NO problems. >>>Always check before you buy<<<

An external firewire drive will work, but if you are on a desktop just put in another internal drive. Unless you want to move projects between machines, then it's incredibly handy. I personally use a Glyph GT050 firewire drive and its great and DEAD SILENT.

Rule of Recording: You should ALWAYS have at least 2 drives. One for the OS and apps and the other to stream data to (so that it won't be interrupted during the recording process.)

What he said about checking with the firewire manufacturer. As for your hard drive, it depends if the RPS of your hard drive satisfy your need.

bojax34 said:
So I have decided to switch from USB to a FireWire based recording system, and I have a few questions. (I currently have a PC w/o a FireWire slot.)

1) I need to install a FireWire PCI card. I have an available PCI slot and an available PCIe slot, should I use one over the other?

2) I have a large internal hard drive that I use for recording. Will it do the job or do I need an external FireWire HD?

3) Anything else I should know?

:confused:

I used PCI Works fine with me, i think its prob cheaper if you go PCI.

The internal harddrive will work, i use 2 harddrives though (one internal one external)

I have firewire and they are great machines for the home studio, alot easier than mixer>interface and stuff like that

Back