Making the change to Computer, need advice based on setup

Darkstar

I've decided to finally move my recording operations over to the computer, but I'm a little lost on what sound card/interface I should use.

I've decided on Fruity Loops for the drums (previously used Boss DR-770 and Roland V-Kit with TD-8 module, selling both off) and Cubase SX for the multitrack.

System:
PC
P4 2.6
512 ram
Win XP

Type of recording:
I do mostly straightforward stuff, nothing fancy. Drums, bass, few guitar tracks, key/piano track, couple vocal tracks per song. I already have mic pre's (ProVocal unit, TC VoiceWorks unit, couple ART Tube MP's) so mice pres I'm not concerned with. I would like to dabble with MIDI eventually. I usually go stereo with most things, so I'll need at least 2 inputs, although on solo acoustic work I'll need four. Other than that, that's all I can see myself using at one time.

Based on my setup and my needs, I'd like to hear some suggestions on both a USB option and a soundcard/box option. $400.00 is my ideal price ceiling. I have my eye on the MBox currently but would love to hear any suggestions on what I should look into.

And my big question: What are the drawbacks of the USB units as opposed to internal card?

Thanks in advance.

Darkstar said:
And my big question: What are the drawbacks of the USB units as opposed to internal card?
USB has a much lower bandwidth than PCI. This usually results in a lower amount of ins and outs. Also, and this is just my impression, it seems that USB has more driver-related problems.

However, there are plenty of advantages too. USB can easily be used with laptops, and they are much easier to install. If you can live with the limitations, USB can be a great solution.

Back