Making the best of what I have.

Spazhands

'ere mate
Hi all, not many posts here as of yet but what a great resource.
Basically I have accumulated a small amount of gear over the years and now feel I have enough to make half decent recordings. I had a bassist friend round the other week for the sole purpose of recording a jam and to see what I could achieve with the kit I have. I am a drummer so spend most of my time trying to get the kit to sound good, I did however record some poor guitar:facepalm: I feel I have a good mic placement on the kit, with no rattles etc. I am asking to see what more could be done to make the most of this. I have linked to the complete "track", just the drums on their own and then the drums as they came into ableton. I have added eq, some reverb and a little compression.

I am tracking using some budget drum mics, a couple of behringers and some unbranded thing I found under my bed:laughings:
This lot then runs into a korg 168 soundlink mixer, into my emu 1820 via adat optical and terminates at Ableton.

I am looking to record a friends band in the next few weeks so would like to get everything up together and sounding as good as possible:)

Here is the page with the tracks. I names them Jam 2012
SoundClick artist: One axe one room one outcome - page with MP3 music downloads

Drums sound nice to me, perhaps I would try a more open sound. How are you miking them? I think the only thing those drums are lacking so me nice overheads to get the overall sound of the kit inside the room, since cymbals sound too thin and snare could be more dynamic if the OH is added.

Actually I liked the raw drum track better. How are you recording both bass and guitar? DI? Are you miking the amps?

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean about the overheads, the main reason behind them is probably because they are dynamics right up close to the source, I have just been eq'ing the highs in afterwards. The recording was done in a very small bedroom with lots of absorption (curtains and a bed!), so maybe adding a room mic would open them up a little?
The bass and guitar were done through revalver, mainly as I couldn't fit any amp in the room and it eliminated bleed 100% I just used some default presets so they can always be improved. Do you not think there was an improvement in the kick drum over the raw drums?? My monitoring is a botch to be honest, I am using earbuds and pa speakers:eek:

Oh yea the drums are close miked all on mic stands to avoid vibration and the kick is done the same a few inches out from the port hole.

Well dynamics dont work that well as overheads, but if that is what you have I would suggest trying different position, try positioning them further apart from the kit so you get the whole picture and not just the cymbals.

There is something I dont like about the guitar and bass, Ill hear it a couple of times more and tell you what it is that I dont like.

As I said I like the raw drum track better, and I think drums are deffinitely the best sounding instrument on your mix.

Back