Making space in the mix

mnordbye

Evenin' gents!

I've recently involved myself into more complex recording situations, which involves more instrumental parts than i've worked with before. I find creating space for each instrument challenging.

So, what "technique", or approach, do you all use for making space for each instrument in the mix?

My approach is a simple one, but i don't know if it's the best way to do it. I normally start out with the instruments operating in the lower end of the frequency range, and work my way up. If things sounds strange, i go back and tweak until i find something that works.

Recently, i discovered the "GFX Analyzer" in Reaper, and understand that it shows me the audio being played in a frequency chart. Analyzing audio with eyes, not ears, is possible then, but do anyone find this a useful tool, or is this a bad way to go?

So, anyone have any tips for "making space"? :)

Thanks

Recently, i discovered the "GFX Analyzer" in Reaper, and understand that it shows me the audio being played in a frequency chart. Analyzing audio with eyes, not ears, is possible then, but do anyone find this a useful tool, or is this a bad way to go?

So, anyone have any tips for "making space"? :)
Bad way to go. Think about frequency analysis like a doctor thinks of an X-ray. It can be helpful in finding the exact cause of a specific symptom of something that you hear is wrong (see the thread "So, You Can't Hear"), just like an X-Ray makes it easier to find out if you have any broken bones. But neither an X-ray nor a frequency analysis can tell you whether the patient is actually in generally good health.

And sometimes even what looks "wrong" on a frequency analysis isn't actually what it seems to be. You gotta use your ears first to determine that there actually even is something wrong, and then use the frequency analyzer only as necessary to help ID something that maybe you just can't put your finder on. And even then there's no guarantees; frequency analysis is a tool, not a solution, and as dependent upon the doctor's ability to properly interpret the data as anything else.

As far as "making space", try and follow the arrangement. A properly arranged song should already have a sonic role for each instrument. If the arrangement is just all over the place - i.e. if it's one of those bands where every member thinks they should be playing lead and doing so through the entire song, don't be afraid to ise the track mute buttons and level automation and make sense of the arrangement in mixing. Less is often more.

USe the parametric sweep technique to remove umpleasamt frequencies from the tracks that clash. And if one (for example) guitar sounds just a bit fuller and rounded than the second guitar, play to those strengths. Notch out some of the mids or highs from the fuller-sounding guitar, and perhaps notch out some of the lows or low mids from the more present and detailed -sounding guitar.

And for instruments that you're not doubling that share similar frequency roles (e.g. a guitar and a keyboard. both strong in the low mids), separate them in pan space (e.g. throw one at 40% L and the other at 40% R, or something like that.)

G.

Thanks for the informative reply!

I agree that the GFX Analyzer should be used as a tool, you can't view your music anyway. :P As you said, i've started to use it when there's something not blending well that i just can't put my finger on.

So i usually start with the instruments working in the lower frequency ranges first, as i wrote before. Allthough, i don't even start using EQs etc. before i've set levels. Also, i don't start panning until after most of the other mixing. If it sounds good in mono, it's easier to work with, i believe. :)

Back