making my mixer work for me

wes480

well, I got a soundcraft M12 - becuase I heard from a lot of people that even with DAW recording, a mixer can be the center of your studio, etc.

Gear I have:

Aardvark Q10
RNC Compressor
Avalon U5 DI
Drawmer DL241 Compressor
VTB-1 Mic pre

Right now I am basically just using the mixer for it's preamps, running into the Q10 - anyone have any nifty ways I can set this stuff up so it works together in ways I never imagined? :D

A mixer is primarily a signal routing tool....

I hate to tell you this but since you already have mic pres (VTB-1), and you appear to be getting your signals into your DAW and then working with them (mixing, etc...) from there, there is little advantage to the external mixer!

Yeah, and beautiful EQ! I'm using one to submix drum mics into a Korg D1600 (only records 8 trks simult) with the digital out. Kind of stupid since the m12 won't be practical for the next recorder I intend to get (24 trk HD) eventually, but what hell... it works now, sounds great, and was pretty inexpensive anyway.

I just read "Home recording for Musicians", and while alot of the gear oriented info in it is a little dated, its got some very informative (IMHO) pages on using mixers to route signals different ways, and it gives a good breakdown of signal routing in general. I was clueless to this particular information (I was just using my mixer for preamp/EQ) so others may find this text very beginner. It was very helpful to me though.

-Todd

Back