making a song sound like it was recorded earlier

doulos24

any advice on faking old songs but producing them today things like songs from the 40s 50s 70s 80s im mostly interested in 40s 50s 60s right now but tricks for making 80s music sound authentic would be cool to

try using izotope vinyl on the master bus. Set it to the year you're looking for then turn off the dust, scratches, and warp (unless you want those effects.) you could also try a tape simulator before the vinyl plugin.

Also mess with reverb and delay settings. 80's seems to have loved reverb. And the older songs used more of a slap-back style delay.

Hope that helps!

A couple of times now I've needed to make a voice/speech track sound 1970s and 1980s. I recorded the speech to computer and then recorded it onto a cassette recorder whilst overloading it slightly, so there was distortion. Gives a nice sense of age to the recording!

You could try this with different tracks if you want to dirty them up, if you have an old cassette recorder lying around.

Somebody help me out here, please? Pick a decade. Then explain to me what a song from that decade sounds like.

G.

Back