Making a snake

mattimus

so by means i wont get into, i got my hands on 20 50foot xlr cables, and i was wondering if anyone knows a cheap easy way to turn this into a snake for my studio (now im not talking about tieing them together...im not stupid) but i mean with a box end instead of just cable ends, anyone have any ideas?

edit: i plan to make it an 8 channel snake

I've made a couple of different versions. I've made them with a stage box (that's portable) and the one between my studio and the control room which is a wall box. If you can solder, it's easy.

Kind of, but you can probably get a box loaded with XLRs already for less. Whirlwind, Proco, Rapco, CBI, and many others sell them. I always have a hard time finding them online, so I usually call my local Whirlwind/CBI dealer.

Here's a pic:

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/stage01.html

That thing you found is kind of a specialty product, designed to be loaded with modules loaded with different connectors. Convenient, but expensive.

The biggest hassle you are going to find using separate cables is that the hole in the box may be too small. They are designed for multipair cable.

Eight mic cables might not fit in the hole on an 8-channel box, is what I'm saying. At the very least, you will have to tape the edges off so the cables don't get cut by the metal edges, and come up with your own strain relief.

Back