Maki analog vrs Digital mixing boards

Chan

I presently have an ADAT with a Maki mixing board - I know that the board is analog, but when I hear the recordings they sound fine. I am interseted in geting an DAT for mixdown... what effect will my Maki board being analog make going from Analog (mic/Maki) to Digital (adat) to analog (Maki) to digital (dat)... Do I need to get a digital mixing board..and what advantages does that offer me? Thanks for your help! - Chan

I presently have an ADAT with a Maki mixing board - I know that the board is analog, but when I hear the recordings they sound fine. I am interseted in geting an DAT for mixdown... what effect will my Maki board being analog make going from Analog (mic/Maki) to Digital (adat) to analog (Maki) to digital (dat)... Do I need to get a digital mixing board..and what advantages does that offer me? Thanks for your help! - Chan

Chan,
No! You don't have to get a digital board. What you are doing is fine.I've heard several recordings using the exact same practice you are using and it works. We are doing the same thing. Going all digital can be a good thing but can end up being very costly. Digital signals are definately a better reproduction of the sound but it also has a tendancy to loose it's warmth apposed to what analog equipment can give you.Analog recordings have been around for a very long time and most studios still use analog gear from what I've seen. In my opinion, if you went all digital, you would have to replace the warmth back into the music by using either very high quality, and reputable software, or go back to analog through some good tube gear.

Bill / LM STUDIO Richmond

Back