Major vst instruments issue

Vigo

So i was working on a song the other day and added some prologue and monologue. it all sounded cool and all.

Today i get on the project and the vst are crazy, the sounds they do are totally wrong PLUS they cannot stop.
When a single note is played it starts playing over and over again endlessly creating such an irritating buzz that i want to destroy my computer.

I removed every single effects on the Prologue menu, played with any possible knob, nothing works. the sounds just keep being so freaking random and plays over and over again crushing everything else in the mix.

Anyone know what's happening with that? Im losing precious mixing time right now i hate this...

Thanks

EDIT : Spector has the exact same problem

The first thing to do is stop playing with the knobs! You need to be systematic. So you have some MIDI tracks playing prologue and Monologue plug ins? First thing to do is to check the very obvious things - hung notes. Have you looked in the key editor to see if you have accidentally edited off the end of a note - so there's a note on but no note off? If you load the song, and mute the tracks that go to the synths, does the nasty noise start?

If it does, then change the VST in the instrument list back to no instrument and load a new instance of it, and rematch it in the inspector to the new VST, does this then take off? If it does, then there is something in the track(s) that are playing on it.

You need to be systematic, and take the track, try it on a different instrument, see if that then plays up. If it does, it confirms the error is in the track. If it plays ok on something like Halion, then something in the VST itself could be wrong - maybe you have some weird effect in place that is linked back to the input and it's simple feedback.

Don't just twiddle everything - that rarely solves problems.

Thanks for the reply but i didn't play with the knobs at first, i muted and unmuted some tracks and noticed that it was only spector and prologue that are gone crasy, yes i checked the effects, yes i checked the groups, yes i chekced the buses, its just the instrument that is gone mad, i even opened other project with spector and prologue to find out that those projects are messed up too seriously what the hell is going on cubase...

EDIT : Like i said in the first post - I do the synths, it sounds good, i save project, close it, come back a day after and its all messed up, that's what happened sir

You're going to have to be a bit more precise - gone crazy, gone mad, and messed up really don't explain what you are actually doing.

When you say you checked things - what do you mean? Start a new project, load up one of your problem VSTi instruments, and when it asks you if you wish to create a track for it, cancel - so the VSTi is loaded but not used. Does it do whatever you mean by gone mad then? Hopefully not - if it does, then somehow, you must have got a corrupt setup file that is perhaps linking out to in, or an effects loop internally that is doing something. If the VSTi loads up and is not going crazy, then you need to try stage by stage to make it happen. Create an empty midi track, and then select the output to the VSTi instrument. Does it go crazy yet? If not, look at the midi track and try one note, entered manually NOT via a midi input. Does that note go mad? If not try an external midi note, and try that. If at this point it is behaving, then open the other problem VSTi and again click cancel to not open a proper instrument track (the reason for this is that the errors could be that the default instrument track has an odd loop or glitch in it) Then select this instrument in the left panel and see if this one works properly.

Let us know how you get on - and what exactly they are doing.

If you mean that they behave when started from scratch, but then misbehave when you save and reload, then something in the load is maybe the problem - there are a few cubase quirks so that it remembers some things as a help - Mine, always loads any midi file as a halion SE VST. I never use Halion, and have never set it as a default - but for some reason it suddenly changed from the previous default VST. It'll be in a tick box somewhere - but I've not bothered to find it - and this kind of behaviour could be the thing - Maybe even some kind of default routing that can't be seen. For a while, my main keyboard started recording double notes - two of everything, and I tracked that down to an old cubase 3.7 file I had loaded, and it reset my midi defaults, turning on the thru - which was always off before.

You're going to have to be a bit more precise - gone crazy, gone mad, and messed up really don't explain what you are actually doing.

When you say you checked things - what do you mean? Start a new project, load up one of your problem VSTi instruments, and when it asks you if you wish to create a track for it, cancel - so the VSTi is loaded but not used. Does it do whatever you mean by gone mad then? Hopefully not - if it does, then somehow, you must have got a corrupt setup file that is perhaps linking out to in, or an effects loop internally that is doing something. If the VSTi loads up and is not going crazy, then you need to try stage by stage to make it happen. Create an empty midi track, and then select the output to the VSTi instrument. Does it go crazy yet? If not, look at the midi track and try one note, entered manually NOT via a midi input. Does that note go mad? If not try an external midi note, and try that. If at this point it is behaving, then open the other problem VSTi and again click cancel to not open a proper instrument track (the reason for this is that the errors could be that the default instrument track has an odd loop or glitch in it) Then select this instrument in the left panel and see if this one works properly.

Let us know how you get on - and what exactly they are doing.

If you mean that they behave when started from scratch, but then misbehave when you save and reload, then something in the load is maybe the problem - there are a few cubase quirks so that it remembers some things as a help - Mine, always loads any midi file as a halion SE VST. I never use Halion, and have never set it as a default - but for some reason it suddenly changed from the previous default VST. It'll be in a tick box somewhere - but I've not bothered to find it - and this kind of behaviour could be the thing - Maybe even some kind of default routing that can't be seen. For a while, my main keyboard started recording double notes - two of everything, and I tracked that down to an old cubase 3.7 file I had loaded, and it reset my midi defaults, turning on the thru - which was always off before.

"When a single note is played it starts playing over and over again endlessly creating such an irritating buzz that i want to destroy my computer." that's pretty much waht i explained earlier,

i did save and reload cubase i did also not save and reload cubase before, the other projects has this problem too now,

it seems like the synths have somehow changed themselves for no reason its REALLY irritating

EDIT : Also, the note played doesn't sound at all like it used to be. The sound is totally different, for exemple, it was a wind but now it is a big bassy sound

So the note plays, then after a short delay, plays again, and again? I still have no idea what it sounds like. The synths have changed themselves??

Changed how?

You say the sound is totally different - it changes from a wind sound to a bass sound? Have you established if parameters are actually changing - as in a different sound is being loaded, or that the sound is somehow morphing.

What is the irritating buzz? A SAW type synth sound or distortion.

If you can't explain things properly - we'll get nowhere. I don't know what your irritating buzz is - I have one on a dodgy mic cable and it's a low level buzz that irritates - but as a fault finding statement it's not helpful.

If you explain as I suggested, at what point the problem starts, maybe me or somebody else will chime in - but you haven't given any information yet that helps me understand. I realise you're fed up about it, but it's like going to the docs and saying I feel ill, help. The docs says what kind of ill, you say very very very ill.

all the settings are the same but the output sound has changed is that simple enough and i really mean ALL SETTINGS

I have not personally heard this being cause for VSTi's screwing up, but at least try trashing your preferences folder and restart Cubase. I have had many occasion where this solved unusual behavior with Cubase. Usually things like crossfade not working or other strange crap.

Hello Vigo,

Do you mean like the MIDI is stock?
Have you tried reseting the MIDI?
Go to: MIDI > Reset and see what happens.

By any chance do you have a step by step guide to reproduce the problem?

Best regards,
GN

I'm out. I hate attitude!

sorry rob im a little mad about my problem i guess it shows out a bit lol

No Guillermo sorry i have no idea what happened i just set my midi to something then when i come back its completely different even tho none of the settings moved

im gonna try the preference thing and the midi reset thanks

EDIT : Reseted midi and ALL preferences... nothing working still the same crasy endless feedback from my spector and prologue

Last edited:
i just set my midi to something
I think you should change something. Seriously, find what it is and change it completely. Not just a little, but 100% change.
its completely different
Whatever you do... do NOT let it BE DIFFERENT! Individuality is the bane of conformists everywhere.
none of the settings moved
Make the settings do what you need them to do... beat them into submission if you have to. Sometime, especially in Cubase, the settings are entrenched in their ways.
the preference thing
Arguably the worst of all things. This thing is just simply non-mentionable. There is a reason it is among the unkowns.

This has happened to me once before, you play a midi note and the vst instrument plays very loud and never stops. I ended up removing the instrument and loading it once again, everything went back to normal. I'd suggest doing that and import your midi tracks from your project pool.

---------- Update ----------

This might help finding what the culprit is... The Vst instrument or the midi track.

Back